• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lactulose for blockages

Yes my vet gives it along with other meds when I have a bunny in stasis.
It's supposed to help draw fluids into the stools making them easier to pass.

I'm using it combined with milk thistle for a bun with very poor liver stats. It has certainly perked him up a lot as he is eating much more enthusiastically- I haven't noticed any bad side effects. He likes the taste a lot.

Thanks my computer is on a go slow, will have to have a nose at work tomorrow, thanks for that :D

Tree - yes it is :)

My vet doesn't normally charge me for it but you can buy a large bottle of Lactulose from a normal pharmacy for a few £'s.

I don't know about it being used in rabbits, but it is commonly used in cats. Older cats and ones with chronic renal failure are prone to constipation. While Chokki was ill with chronic renal failure, i did a bit of research in google and there are theories that it can also help cats with renal failure by keeping the urea in the digestive tract, thus putting less pressure on the kidneys and reducing urea concentrating in the blood. It has also been used in cats with megacolon, as long as it is given in low enough doses and the cats doesn't get the runs, it is thought to be safe long term- or as long as a CRF cat can survive. Sadly we never got the chance to try this, because by the time we took Chokki on she was too far gone to really help.
However, this may be something worth suggesting for rabbits with renal failure, it can't hurt to ask a vet, can it.:)

Yep, I've used it on buns and found it to be much more of a success than going down the infacol and massage route etc. Obviously it depends on exactly what is going on with the rabbit, but dosing them up on it has been beneficial. I was advised to try it by a colleague.

I would say though if you're buying it from a chemist don't tell them it's for rabbits if they ask, as we were refused the sale once.

I have used it for some of my Rabbits
It's osmotic action draws fluid into the guts. I also administer additional fluids by subcutaneous injection or IV if Bun is very flat. That way it is hoped the blockage can be hydrated enough to breakdown and pass. But sometimes additional meds are needed to achieve this

Thanks Raine, I have saved lots of the article you have sent me/posted. Often a vet needs these kind of links to be convinced to try anything unorthodox. If more vets were open to research things like this I am sure many more buns could be saved. I had a struggle to find a vet who would give my buns penicillin when they had Syphilis :roll:

Back