• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to be or not to be single?

gil

Mama Doe
hi

i have a house rabbit and 3 pairs of outside rabbits, one pair which is a male/female combo. although my house rabbit is great, i worry that she is lonely and needs more rabbit company. she has free range of the house when we are in but apart from the odd run up and down stairs she more or less sticks to her own area round her cage. although she has plenty play things she's not that inquisitive but she does come over to me and gives loads of kisses.

i am wondering whether i should
a) get her a male friend (she has been neutered)
b) bond her with one of the existing pairs
c) bond her at the same time as bonding the other four females (making it a group of 5)
d) bond all 7 of them........
e) leave her as she is

all the bunnies are neutered so no worries there but if anyone has any advice on what be best for the single bun, that would be great!

thanks!

Personally I would try to find a boy to bond her with, they are the bondings that have the highest chance of success and should be easier than attempting a large group bond.

I'd go for option a). Out little chap Stan didn't seem to do much before we got him a partner. He's a lot braver and more inquisitive since.

We've just failed to bond our 4 so i'm a bit negative on the group bonding options, though others have had success with this. Also, if she's been used to being a house bun, this is probably not the time of the year to be moving her outside (there's plently of posts covering why winter days outside and house buns dont mix).

yes.............thanks for replying!
have already thought about the approaching winter
if we did get her a male friend then we would be putting them outside but not until the spring.

one of the pairs i have is definitely curious about the house rabbit as they pop in and out the house to visit her when we're not looking. my oh came in from hanging out the washing to find one of them right inside the indoor cage!

think perhaps it's a bit freaky getting another rabbit and taking the total to 8! but if i did it'd would definitely be a rescue who has been neutered...........

Back