• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

safe height for rabbits to jump from?!

nikkiwall

Young Bun
Hello!

I hope this doesn't seem like a daft question but how high is too high for a rabbit to jump from?! I've nearly finished building my bunny village and am just coming to the finishing touches like putting shelves in the shed for them to sit on.

I want to put 2 shelves next to each other with one higher than the other (like steps kind of thing!) but wondered if the high shelf would be too high for them to jump from.

Would they chance jumping if it was too high or would they have the sense to jump back down on to the lower shelf first? I was planning to put a little ledge around the edge so they don't slip off or anything.

I hope you understand what I'm going on about because I'm even confusing myself :D ! What do you think?

When I was planning The Shed That Has Yet To Be Built, I intended on having one low "open" shelf, then ramps up to a second higher shelf, but this one would have wooden & mesh sides like a hutch:D

Thats a good idea about the mesh etc. I'm just confused because I know rbits are great at jumping up but not sure what they're like for jumping down!!

I'd say about 50cm is a safe jumping off point. I have a nice box which is 50 cm high which is an ideal height for them but I don't think I'd want it higher if they were jumping on to something hard.

I've seen one of my buns jump down from about a metre and be ok but think it would be different if they slipped from this height as they wouldn't be able to plan their landing. I agree 50cm is about right, with anything higher having mesh sides to prevent falling.

Well i was standing up holding mine and she jumped out of my arms onto the floor. Scared me too death but she just kept on hopping

Back