• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike attack-advice needed

:( My bunny Ginger got the dreaded flystrike infection-I was horrified to discover maggots on her and we rushed her to the vets straight away. She is still there as she had to stay in for a couple of days as she has not been eating. It seems all has been removed and cleaned and she is over the worst of it. I wanted advice on whether it is best to keep her indoors or out as her backside is shaved and looks very raw and pink. I wondered if that is going to expose her to more flies. I am however wary of keeping her indoors as last year she seemsed to be allergic to carpet dust and got snuffles easily. Up till now both her and Cookie have been flourishing being kept outdoors in the fresh air but as this has happened I am in a bit of a dilemma. What do people think? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd keep her indoors for a bit until she's less sore.shaving would actually decrease the risk of flies but they may find wounds attractive......do you have somewhere with no carpet like a bathroom or kitchen where she can stay?

importantly going forward you need to minimise the risk of her getting it again. Sometimes it just happens but often it cause by a bun not being able to keep themselves clean (overweight, large dewlaps in unspayed females, incorrect diet). If you think that any of those may be a problem then lots of people will be able to give you advice I'm sure.

There is a product called rear guard which is good for at risk bunnies & when you go to collect her from the vet it might be a good idea to talk to them about it. I don't think you'd want to put it on if she has broken skin but it might be something to think about for next spring.

My daughter,s rabbit had fly strike a few months back and her vet advised him to be indoors for a while. He was shaved underneath and very sore for a while but made a full recovery. I took around some fly screen for her to put across her hutch wire to stop any flies getting in and also for her run. He is quite a lazy bun so does tend to sit still for ages so must of been an easy target for insects.He is also very fluffy. Also will help keep out mossies as well. Good luck with your bun. Pam

Poor bun

I would look into how she got it too - Is she able to clean herself properly? If she's overweight or disabled in anyway she might struggle.

Back