• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried...dont know whats wrong

Michelle666

Mama Doe
Hi all,
Ive just been told my a friend at work (who lives near me) that her daughters 2 rabbits had to be put down this week due to a very servere myxi outbreak in the area (Ockendon - Rainham - Romford). My two Giants are only 18 weeks old, and they were given their first jans at 10 weeks. Im rather worried as one has a runny eye, and the sneezes, but this something that has been on and off for a few weeks now. I haven't thought much of it, as shes still running round like a nutter, eatting for england, drinking loads and her poos seem fine, although the odd running one (that C word - sorry dont know the spelling)
We've booked in for the vets tonight, not looking forward to it (more worried about getting a giant to the vet!!! What does everyone think? my other girl is fine.

if they've been vaccinated then it is very unlikely that they will have full blown mixi....it is possible for vaccinated buns to get the less severe nodular mixi which has a reasonable chance of survival. If she's had this for a couple of weeks though it probably isn't that, might be more likely to be the snuffles. She should be seen by a vet for either though.

also could be an allergy.

It is most likely to be an allergy to something (are they bedded on woodshavings?) or mild snuffles. Which vet do you use? I live in Grays but use a vet in romford

Thanks for all your help, im feeling slightly less worried. I live in Ockendon and also use a vet in Romford (Best Friends Animal Hospital). My BF just called me and said she looks fine, and that her eye is clear. She does sneeze every so often as well. They are bedded on Straw, with a little hay (if they decide they dont want it in their hay basket!)

Hopefully the vet can put your mind at ease tonight. :)

I live in Grays and I think myxi is quite bad here too. My vet had an owner bringing in 6 rabbits to be pts because of it a few wks ago. :(:( I only know because Alfie was in for his neuter the same day and they wanted to make sure he was out of the surgery before the buns were brought in.

I have 10 bunnies all vaccs....................... 5 of them have nodular myxi and its symptoms are not similar to your buns at all.

you are doing the right thing by visiting the vet and it sounds more like an allergy

Thankyou its sooo horrible in 20years of keeping buns i have never had one with myxo This year is particulary bad!

They are all responding to treatment so fingers crossed

Hopefully the vet can put your mind at ease tonight. :)

I live in Grays and I think myxi is quite bad here too. My vet had an owner bringing in 6 rabbits to be pts because of it a few wks ago. :(:( I only know because Alfie was in for his neuter the same day and they wanted to make sure he was out of the surgery before the buns were brought in.

Oh how awful..if only people would vaccinate :cry::cry:

I live in Stanford-le-hope, so that's near to you. My vet said its really bad in this area. My frenchie has it and he was boostered in july. Hope your buns all survive. Fingers crossed for all the poorly myxi buns!!!! Pam.X

He looks a mess bless him but is eating well and seems lively. He is living indoors now so can watch him closely. He has to go for his check up tonight and get some more baytril. When i took him last tuesday they said they had seen 3 already that week that had to be pts. I think they had not been vaccinated tho. She suggested having him pts as I have 8 other buns but I said that I want to give him every chance so brought him indoors away from the others. So far they are all Ok. Pam

Scary - Dusty isn't vaccinated, as she's too sick for it. I keep swatting insects in the kitchen, so hopefully she's as safe as she can be.

Hope the vet appointment goes OK. :)

Just to let you all know, i was an over reacting mother, we have one very minor eye infection..not even worth drops its that minor. at least i can breath again.

Back