• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some Questions from New Mum

qski

Young Bun
okey dokey

This is how it went..
Day 1 11/9 - bunny very lovely and seeming happy flopping about
Day 2 12/9 - bunny less lovely but more happy and adventurous
Day 5 16/9 What Now?

She seems very happy in her play pen, has a tunnel, a cat pyramid thing with holes in it, tosses toilet rolls (a little) runs up and down the tunnel and this morning started furiously digging at it. Very adventurous when wondering around peeking into things climbing on things and generally doing laps of areas and knocking over the 'gate' stopping her from going down the hallway and doing the amazing disappearing bunny act.

Question 1 - She seems to be a bit of a guts? now I am wondering if I am feeding her enough. She was fed mostly on pellets at the RSPCA and I would like to her to eat veggies and greens and hay because i believe its healthier, hay is coming tomorrow so she has been getting
2 carrots and a radish with tops a small amount of pellets (in the morning and at night) and some treats now and then (ie extra bits of greens)
She is an 8 month old Dwarf Lop Is this enough?
Am I starving my bunny?

Question 2 - So far the happier she seems to be the less she likes us coming near her. She is still quite skittish and sometimes we can touch her and pat her and others she runs away. I sit with her after breakfast and cage clean up time and chuck toilet rolls and talk to her and she seems to turn into some crazy circus bunny running around and rearranging things. How do I get her more used to us? As well as used to her new home? Will we ever be able to handle her? I dont want a lap bunny but would like to be able to brush her and move her from indoors to out without upsetting her?

Question 3 - Is it normal to be a psycho bunny for a few hours and then a slug in the corner under the table for hours?

I'm confused :)
Help Me
Help Coco:oops:

First off she is gorgeous :love: :love:

I find my bunnies tend to be far more interested in new things than me, so she is probably getting used to the smells, sights and sounds of a new place.

Poppy was quite aggresive and scared when I first got her. Try just sitting with Coco, reading a book or something so you "ignore" her. try this for an hour at a time or so, if she comes up and sniffs you don't touch her just carry on reading. Then try putting a pellet on your leg/hand/whatever gradually work up to hand feeeding her, then stroking her, if she gets scared just go back to sitting with her. It might be a slow process but worthwhile :)

As for food, sounds like you are feeding about right, carrots are high is sugar so some people don't feed them that often but mine have them and have no problems. I feed enough pellets to cover the bottom of a dish, plus a few extras as treat, unlimited hay, and veggies. When introducing new veggies only give a small bet at first as some buns stomachs are sensitive to some veggies :)

Good luck, sounds like you are doing a fab job

As long as she's getting plenty of hay you're not starving her. Most rabbits think that a food shortage is immenent and seem to be ruled by their tums. :lol: You can slowly introduce a wider variety of veg and herbs though if you like.

for question two I'd say just keep trying and give it time. It'll take a while for her to trust you and unfortunately some buns never become completely tolerant of strokes. you could try lying flat down and ignoring her but with some tasty food in your hands.

I have a page called interaction on the site in my sig with lots of tips in it that I've compiled and picked up from others, you might find that helpful.

As for q. 3. Yes! :D

Back