• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tomato leaves

Squizz

Alpha Buck
Anyone know how bad these are for buns? I know they are on the bad lists of food - but my bunnies keep sneaking a nibble when I'm not looking. Will a little bit be OK - or is it time to chuck my tomato plants?

I'd be inclined to cut off the leaves at the lower end of the plants where they can reach.....there has to be some instinct involved in that if something is bad for a creature, it is not going to eat a lot of it once it has had a taster. :roll:

very bad! potentially fatal. Contains tomatine which is very like nicotine (did you know that although you can smoke 20 ciggies with no obvious problems...if you ate those 20 cigarettes it would kill you) and can cause all manor of nasties

You can trim the leaves off quite high and protect the stem with chicken wire, protect your whole bed with chicken wire or better yet move the plants so they can't reach them

I would just cut all the leaves off. It wont kill the plants and it will help the tomatoes turn red because they will be getting more light. I do it every year with the tomatoes on my allotment. :)

I would just cut all the leaves off. It wont kill the plants and it will help the tomatoes turn red because they will be getting more light. I do it every year with the tomatoes on my allotment. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Back