• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering - what to expect? UD - all gone great!

Gregory is being neutered on Thursday.

What should I expect afterwards?
Is there anything I need to have in ready?
What extra care will he need?

Last edited:
well as I have a vested interest:

Firstly boys are usually much better than girls post op and it is an easier op to do so DON'T PANIC!!!!!!

Make sure you feed him as normal pre op

Pack his carrier with lots of hay & take a little lunch box to the veg with some tempting veg and pellets.

Most boys are fine after, he might go off hay and dried food for a bit but veg usually goes down well, especially spring greens, dandilions and parsley. Put them and some water very close to him.

Make sure he's eating, drinking and pooping. My last lot of girls were not that happy and I did syringe some water into them and they perked up straight away....they were actually lapping it off the syringe. You probably don't have a syringe but encouraging him to drink by putting it very close to him will help.

You could think about getting him some care fresh for litter for the first couple of days as hay might scratch his tender bits but I haven't bothered the last couple of times & they've been fine.

Keep an eye on the wound......the glue they use is green....I once phoned chloe in a panic because woodhouse had gone green & I thought it was infected :lol::lol::lol: Just make sure it's healing well and take up the offer of a post op check from your vet if they give you one.

Thank you - what a star yet again!

Do I need to shut him in his cage? I don't really want to as he's not used to it - but I do have cream carpets and don't fancy coming home to blood spattered carpets!

Use carefresh anyway so that's cushdy!

Do I need to get something to stop him picking at the glue?

Should I ask for fibreplex?

no...he should be fine...if he's bleeding then he ought to go back to the vets.....just try and make sure he can't be too adventurous for the first couple of nights....

no, they don't usually pull at the glue but you do need to check once or twice a day for the first couple of days to make sure he hasn't opened it up

I woudldn't bother, especially if they says he's been eating when you go and pick him up...but if it makes you feel safer.

Cool, doesn't sound too bad then! I know I'll end up worrying though! When he was admitted for some check ups a few weeks ago I kept crying with worry! People didn't get why I was so bothered!

Thanks for your help!

Hiya carol :wave: Ronnie was neutered today, along with another small op. I went out and bought him some vetbed :oops: I collected him at 3pm today and hes only just started to come round, ive fetched him some grass from the garden and hes just started munching on it :) Im sure gregory will be fine :) Like lucy says, the op for a male is alot more simple than a female. If its anything like our vets, the wound is so tiny :)

Ronnie is a free range house bunny at the mo, they have told me its cage rest for at least 3 days :) Hope this helps a little, sending lots of vibes for Gregory :) xXx

Thanks Becky, I've ordered some vetbed to arrive Wednesday hopefully! There's a few things he likes jumping onm and off so maybe it will ahve to be cage rest - will see what the vet says! Hope Ronnie recovers well!

Thanks Becky, I've ordered some vetbed to arrive Wednesday hopefully! There's a few things he likes jumping onm and off so maybe it will ahve to be cage rest - will see what the vet says! Hope Ronnie recovers well!

Yeah thats like Ronnie... hes took a liking to sitting on the sofa :oops: It may be different with Gregory as like i say Ronnie had 2 ops in 1 sort of thing :( Will be thinking of Gregory on thursday :) xXx

Thank you! I will be trying to NOT think of him while I teach grid method multiplication and plan a staff meeting!

Don't teach on a Thursday aft though so I'll be on the phone asking how he is!!!

I had my frenchie neutered a couple of months ago and was told to keep him in his cage for a few days.He is a climber so was definitely best for him. He developed an infection on his wound so had to have baytril. But it soon cleared up and he was fine. Good luck. Pam

Hi

Best wishes for Gregory on Thursday.

When Tyler had his op he was a star. The vets and nurses couldnt believe how well he had come round after the op. He had to go back the next day for a tummy moving jab but that was all. Its strongly recommended that you shut him in the cage for a few days. I made Ty stay in for 5 days just in case. I was told to remove the megazorb in case it stuck to the wound, so i used a fleece blanket and in his toilet i used puppy training pads!! They were great. You can buy a small pack from morrisons for about £2.

The op went very well and Gregory was his usual perky self when I collected him at 3.30! He's not been sleepy at all. Had a full dental (again - only 3 1/2 weeks since the last one) while he was under and his molars were causing ulcers on his tongue this time bless him, so that's another £25 on top of the neuter! Agh - expensive hobby!

Thanks for all your advice - he's eating, pooping, drinking and weeing as normal!

Aww glad gregory is ok! Didnt realise he was a dental bunny :( Bless him. Hes gorgeous :love: Sending him lots of healing vibes :) Ronnie went for his post op check today, all is fine and hes allowed back free range so hes a happy bunny! xXx

Ooh I bet he's pleased - glad he is better! Gregory is none too impressed at being shut in, despite the lovely pink vetbed I got him! He's not too bad now cos I'm in the same room but as soon as I leave the room he starts carrying on!

I let him out for a bit and the first thing he did was jump on his sack of hay and fall off it so he obviously can't be trusted!

He's had dental troubles for a few months now but it was only overgrown incisors which could be burred down every 3 weeks for about £8 - now he has spurs on the molars poor lad!

Ooh I bet he's pleased - glad he is better! Gregory is none too impressed at being shut in, despite the lovely pink vetbed I got him! He's not too bad now cos I'm in the same room but as soon as I leave the room he starts carrying on!

I let him out for a bit and the first thing he did was jump on his sack of hay and fall off it so he obviously can't be trusted!

He's had dental troubles for a few months now but it was only overgrown incisors which could be burred down every 3 weeks for about £8 - now he has spurs on the molars poor lad!

:lol: theyre like little children arent they :lol:

I can just imagine him walking into the side of the cage trying to follow you, what ashame bless him!

He'll soon be allowed free range again :) He sounds like a little darling :love:

He is a little darling - most of the time!

Off to a wedding on Saturday so leaving him for the weekend :?
My friend is coming to spend some time with him on Saturday evening to check he's ok! Hope he doesn't cry!

Oh no! Poor Gregory, leave the radio on for him maybe? :oops: Im so daft with our bunnies :? Bet he'll miss you so much, he'll punish you when you get home :lol:

I'm glad he's got through ok and seems his usual bouncing self. Is he much of a hay eater? You must be spending a fortune on dentals......Have you tried dust free hay, It's pricy but cheaper than a dental :) ? Mine go nuts for it. I could give you some when you come to get Twombly & see if he likes it.

Back