• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on vet's diagnosis

Bubby

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone!

My girly bun Tilly has lost a bit of weight recently for no apparent reason (still eating fine as far as I can tell) so I took her to the vets tonight and she has given me xeno 450 spot-on in case of parasites and some baytril in case of an infection. She did check Tilly's teeth which she said were fine. She said I should treat both my buns with the xeno (fair enough) but that I should separate them because of Tilly's baytril. I can understand about ensuring only she gets the baytril (which I will do) but should I really separate a loving bonded pair at a time when she may be stressed anyway?

I usually trust vets (however foolishly) but I just felt like I was being a bit fobbed off and that she didn't really care what was wrong. She seemed to be of the opinion that it wasn't worth depriving Tilly of the 2ml of blood she would need to take otherwise.

Should I seek another opinion or wait and see what happens with the drugs? I can try giving her porridge to build her up a bit but I didn't want to try it before in case it just masked her being ill.

Thanks in advance for your help guys, I value your opinions.

When I've had to separate for baytril I've mixed the baytril in with some water in a bowl and put some apple juice in it, put the bowl in a cage so both buns can see each other and put the bun in the cage - if Tilly's anything like any of mine that juice/water will be gone in about 10 minutes! :lol::lol:

If they were my rabbits I would not separate them. I've often given medication to one bun without separating them. Bonded buns tend to get better more quickly when they are kept with their companion, plus of course you run the risk of losing the bond if they are separated.

There are a number of techniques you can use to 'feed' baytril. You can do it straight from the syringe into the side of the mouth but it's very bitter tasting so they tend not to take it easily. You can mix a little apple juice, pineapple juice or original ribena in with it to take the bitterness away, or try putting the dose onto something like a little piece of apple, letting it soak in and then feeding it. I have also syringed just a couple of drops of it onto a pellet and fed them one by one to the right bun until the dose is achieved.

I too give Baytril on some food and make sure they take it and you don't have to separate them. Now I get injections to give off the vet, then you really know they have their correct dose.

Thanks guys - I really didn't think I should part them as they really do love each other. I'll try the juice etc suggestions and hopefully she will get better and put on some weight - she really does look gaunt bless her:cry:

Back