• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a rabbit run

Elimy1987

Warren Scout
Im planning on building a foldable rabbit run as the one i currently have is starting to get a bit old, but im going to use it as a guidline to make the new one im planning to make (or get my dad to make :lol:) So I was just wondering what was the best wood to use, ive read several threads on here about the wire so i think il be using weld mesh for that.

So guys basically im asking what woods the best to use to make a run?

Probably just pine timber, the thicker you use the more stable your run will be. But also thicker wood will make it heavier and harder to fold. Probably 1/2 inch x 2 inch ? something like that should do. Give it a good few layers of treatment though so it doesn't rot :)

If you can afford it use an Electric Staple Gun to make attaching the mesh easier.

Thanks

Yeah didnt think about the thickness of the wood. Yeah ive bought a staple gun already so thats cool :)

Probably just pine timber, the thicker you use the more stable your run will be. But also thicker wood will make it heavier and harder to fold. Probably 1/2 inch x 2 inch ? something like that should do. Give it a good few layers of treatment though so it doesn't rot :)

If you can afford it use an Electric Staple Gun to make attaching the mesh easier.

ours are made of wood but as rabbit like chewing wood we got some metal covering so making the run last a long time. My uncle made all mine , he used steel wire so that they are also foxy proof , my hubby recons he go the wire from a jail as its so strong

Hiya.

Just wanted to say, if you are going to attach the mesh with a staple gun, I would recommend using U shaped nails at the corners of the mesh at least. Staples can very easily be pulled out - I know because I have seen my rabbits do it on an old run. I'd U nail the whole thing or at least the corners - they never get pulled out.

I would worry especially about a fox or similar jumping on the top of a run where only staples had been used as they wouldn't hold much weight.

On the subject of timber, I'd get it from Wickes or similar. They do sawn treated and it works out very reasonable and seems to do quite well in all weathers without too much work adding more preservative.:D

As long as you use long staples (3.5cm) they can be stronger than the ones you knock in by hand as you can put in a lot more.

Back