• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Manuca Honey/abscess

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
Hi, not been on here for a while but i thought i would share with you the results ive been having with manuka honey and abscess. I had one were the abscess was from the jaw to up under the eye one on the rabbits back and one on the cheek. All of them had the would opened and cleaned out and then the wound left open. Every day the would was flushed with diluted peroxide and then packed out with honey. Very quickly you will stop getting pus out and then you let the would heal keep packing with honey. This has worked were batril and penicillin implants have not cleared it. Please if your having trouble ask your vet about this treatment.I have used this for a year now and am thrilled with its results. Its being used on people as well as no bacteria can live in the honey. The honey can be got from any good heath food shop and is about £13 .val

yep me mom uses it, very expensive but shes finding it helps with a few things, cheapest ive found is 9.99 was in tescos a few months back

I am currently doing the packing out with the honey with Charlies jaw abcess. I am very pleased with the results too. I'm only using a factor 5 at the mo but am going to buy a 30. I only got a 5 because I'm a bit wary of such things but I'm a complete convert now. He has very little pus now and has healed up quite a bit too. :D

What factor honey did you use?

I use the 15, i had a letter from a lady who used a vet recomended on here and my site in Twickenham, they are using it.The results are truly stunning and so quick. val

Thats great info Val.

Pickles, the bunnies that Val has used this treatment on had previously had antibiotic treatment. You haven't said on your previously thread if your bunny has seen a vet and had an abscess before in the same site. He could be experiencing pain and will need to see a vet.

He has seen a vet. That's who told me what it was as he has never had one before. He genuinely doesn't seem in pain and that was a huge factor in what made me decide to try the alternative treatment for a few days...

I have also used Manuka honey on abcesses with success. I used factor 15 and was amazed at how quickly the open abscess dried out and healed whilst using it. Would definitely recommend it.

I haven't had to deal with an abscess for a while, but the last one responded well to putting in Tiacil (the eye drops) and then putting in the manuka honey

Pickles, I think the manuka is used on an open abscess. Did your vet not suggest starting antibiotic treatment? Rabbits can hide their pain initially, so you do need to careful on leaving treatment. Untreated pain will stop them eating and that is very dangerous for a bunny.

I'm printing this out to take to my vet tomorrow, along with some info pm'd by Raine and Maizey.

Well I went to the vet and was told it wasn't an abscess. Also, they ruled out cyst etc. I went to get his stitches out from the surgery on Fri and they wouldn't take them out as on Thurs the lump had got hard and changed shape. Yesterday it seemed really tight and came down this morning and it had burst with pus coming out.

So, I have cleaned it and squeezed the pus out and he seems a lot happier now- no wonder really!

The hole seems to have come from a stitch going into his skin and bursting and is a few mm's in diameter.

Is this too small to flush out? Or should I just add some honey onto it?

He's been on metacam and baytril for the last week and a half.

Back