PDA

View Full Version : Help!! U/D been to vets!!



Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I think Holli is in GI-statis! I cant even take her to the vets because the money i keep behind for the vets, was spent on having to treat them all for fleas and paying for Fletchers injection
Shes lethargic, wont eat and wont drink, She just dosent seem bothered with herself.
Please help. What can I do to get her going again?

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Can you perhaps ring your vets and explain you don't have the money, you may be able to pay them in installments?

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Can you wrap her in something to get her warm? I would probably give your vet a call and see if they can help you though, as she could do with a gut starter and some painkiller.

Sending vibes.

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:18 PM
ive got her wrapped in a towel and cuddled in 2 me to keep her warm. I dont think my vets let you pay in installments and i dont no anyone who can lend me the money apart from my sister. im so worried, i feel sick, i know i sound like a bad bunny owner, but i literally did spend the money i keep for the vets, on treatment already. What should her tummy feel like?

Stator
15-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Phone up the vets and ask anyway, you might be surprised

Here's some info I found, don't know if it is all correct though:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:22 PM
If your vets wont, one of the local ones will, just try ringing them and see how you go, the worse they can say is no or better still go down there, let them treat her, come to pay and claim to of forgot your purse then they will have to let you pay next week. Other than that, try your local RSPCA, they help if you're stuck with vet bills also the pdsa. Do you have any infacol you could give her?

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I got up late this morning, and she didnt even jump up for her food, which aint like her at all.
She made no resistance when i picked her up, and usally shell run away from me to the other end of the cage (she always done this, bit like a game between us)
I thought a run about in the run with the other bunnies would help get her going, but i put her in and she just lay straight down, she dosent wanna move about or really do anything, and shes usally so active.
I know something isnt right and my gut feeling is telling me GI-statis.
Edit: I have no infacol or anything. The vets I use (a rabbit savvy vets) charge you extra if you dont pay on the day aswell.

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Awwwwww hun, Ok I really don't want to worry you, but she sounds poorly, like Beatrix is and if she doesn't get to the vets she may not make it. You will forever be kicking yourself if something happened to her and you could of paid the extra in a couple of weeks.

biscuitblossom
15-09-2008, 04:29 PM
You really need to get her to a vet asap,stasis can be so serious ,are you sure your vet won't be sympathetic ,I'm sure theyd rather treat the animal than see it suffer.

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:35 PM
my poor baby, i know shes poorly and i know its serious, but i dont think alot of vets take on work if you cant pay them straight away.
TBH i think its been brung on by stress because of the dog yesterday :censored:

biscuitblossom
15-09-2008, 04:37 PM
without wishing to seem harsh at all (cos I know its not easy)...are you prepared to let her get so poorly she is past treatment?

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Honestly they should help you, the thing is she may just need a shot of painkiller, metaclop and some zantac to bring home, on the scale of things it's really not that expensive so I am sure your vet wont mind, it's not going to cost them a lot to do that, they just charge us a lot. :lol:

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:41 PM
ill ring and ask

biscuitblossom
15-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Good for you....hopefully they will be understanding.

Angie65
15-09-2008, 04:43 PM
ill ring and ask

I rely heavily on credit from my vet when I am skint:D

SOAD
15-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Good luck :D

XMissySJx
15-09-2008, 04:52 PM
to be honest hun the more u leave it the more expensive it will be. when jelly had suspected stasis, it cost me just 20 for her pain relief and gut stimulants and some science recovery, but when it was cookie and it has been 48 hours (didnt know much about gut stasis etc) it ended up costing me about 60 bcus he needed more treatment.

if her guts have stopped, she wont get better without vet help.

i hope she will be okay hun x

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Theyll see tonight at 7:50 :( they dont do payment plans, but my mums left me the last of her money but its only 50 quid. so im hoping it dont go over that.
Theyve advised me to keep her warm and try and tempt her to eat. Her stomach is quite soft and doughy but the vet said it wud be hard if it was stasis, but ive read otherwise?
My poor Holli hopper :(

Angie65
15-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Theyll see tonight at 7:50 :( they dont do payment plans, but my mums left me the last of her money but its only 50 quid. so im hoping it dont go over that.
Theyve advised me to keep her warm and try and tempt her to eat. Her stomach is quite soft and doughy but the vet said it wud be hard if it was stasis, but ive read otherwise?
My poor Holli hopper :(

I think Bloat is when it's hard? I've had stasis (well - my bun, not me) & Kendra's belly was soft

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 05:01 PM
ive just burst into tears, i dont want her to die
edit: Should I attempt infacol b4 the vets?

SOAD
15-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Awwww sending her vibes, she should be ok. If you give her a some infacol, take the bottle with you, so they know what she's had, some infacol wont hurt. I'm going home now as I'm off to see Beatrix at the vets, but best of luck for the vets.

biscuitblossom
15-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Hope she gets on ok.....vibes for both of you.

Jack's-Jane
15-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Personally if she's that poorly I'd go to the Vet now
I know your appointment is not til much later but time is of the essence and from what you have posted here she has been ill all day :cry:

I dont mean to sound harsh either but you say you dont want her to die in which case go to the Vet now rather than her having to wait longer than she already has

Good luck

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Ive rung the vets to see if theyll let me in any sooner and they said theres nobody to actually see me till 7:50.
Ive managed to get her to drink some cool boiled water and shes sitting all snuggly in her box with lots of cosey towels and a hot water bottle
Jane - i thought a run in her new run and a play with her fellow fluffies would kinda uplift her bit it wasnt until i started to look around that on the website that i suspected stasis, because i thought she was just stressed off the incident yesterday
She does seem to be a tad brighter now shes had a drink and is in a warm comfy box, even give me a little lick :)

billysmom
15-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Hope all goes well at the vets with Holli, id really try and see if they will see her now as a emergency, .Thinking of you both, let us know how you get on.:) :oops: Sorry your post bet mine, obviously you,ve tried to get her in earlier, fingers crossed for you.:)

Cornishlass
15-09-2008, 06:37 PM
put some pineapple juice in for her to drink - this usually temps them....

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 06:42 PM
none of the buns are keen on pineapple usally turn thier nose up at it:lol:

bunny babe
15-09-2008, 07:00 PM
I hope she is OK. At least she has given you a lick which is good.

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 07:03 PM
off to the vets now. Wish me Luck :wave:

Becca
15-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Best of luck.
Hope all goes well.

SOAD
15-09-2008, 09:35 PM
How did it go?

Phoebesmummy9
15-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I was right, she was showing signs of stasis, shes had an injection of painkiller, an injection to get her guts moving again and some herbivore food to syringe feed her with - the vet recommended at least 10 of these before bed, shes had 25 syringe fulls of food AND a drink :shock:
The vet wants me to keep her seperate from the others till im sure shes pooping and weeing again
Didnt get seen till 9oclock and it ended up costing me 53.17 to have her treated, but the vet said she would of probably been alot worse, or worst case sceanrio, dead by tommoro morning so i brung her in at the right time, im just glad shes ok :love:

bunny babe
16-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Glad you got to see the vet. 50 :shock: they really do play on us with their prices! Katy cost me about 250 as I had to take her Christmas Day and Boxing day last year!

Maizey
16-09-2008, 08:01 AM
How is Holli this morning?

SOAD
16-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Glad to hear the vets went ok, hope she is better today :D

Phoebesmummy9
16-09-2008, 12:26 PM
She seems a tad more Holli like today :love::love::love:
not so keen on the herbivore food tho but i still cant get her to eat the solid food so im gunna keep giving her it till im sure shes eating.
The vet checked her teeth and said they were nice and healthy so it wasnt her teeth, shes also concluded that the stasis was probably brung on by the stress of the dog trying to get into our garden the other day! :shock:
50 is excessive I think bunnybabe, but hey shes worth it.. just means i wont be eating till the end of the month! :shock::lol: