• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syphyllis again!

DDD

Mama Doe
Agh. Douglas has syphylis again. They were only both treated for it in March, after having it twice. Hope it doesn't transfer to Desmond as its getting to be very expensive. Has anyone ever had a bun who managed to get rid of it completely???

Hi, you should not have had it come back ive had lots of rabbits treated and it gone . If you wish ring my vet in blackheath and they can tell you the proper treatment to have. val 02083193033

The treatment they had before was 3 x weekly shots of penicillin and biolapis for their tummies. thought this was the normal treatment???

Well, I'm back and they have had penicillin (both of them). Gosh, rabbits are an expensive hobby!!

has he been having unsafe sex ???? :D I don't know if there are any other antibiotics you could try, Jane would probably know. You might have a slightly resistant strain.

has he been having unsafe sex ???? :D I don't know if there are any other antibiotics you could try, Jane would probably know. You might have a slightly resistant strain.

Well, they are naughty incestuous brothers as Douglas has it on his nose and willy, and Desmond only has it on his nose (caught it from Douglas' willy)!! I think penicillin is the usual treatment, but just can't shift it from Douglas' foreskin

Hang on I'm sure someone suggested a different antibiotic when mine had it...will go find the name...

Edit it was Convenia (Cefovecin)

Last edited:
Tinkerbell had it on her nose, I never checked her ahemm nether regions :oops:

She had a course of penicillin and it came back a few months later. Had another course, closer together, and she has been free from it for over 2 years now :D

Back