• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving rabbits out all night

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

A week or so ago (and many times besides I expect) there was a debate about whether it was advisable to leave rabbits out of their hutch all night. The general consensus was yes, but ONLY if you could be guaranteed that no foxes, cats etc could get to them. Anyway, partly on the basis of that thread, which is here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144948 I leave Huppie out all night now.

I just thought I'd let you know how it has gone after the first week.

:D!!!!!FANTASTIC!!!!!!:D

She runs to meet me in the morning!!!
She is happier and livelier
She sleeps as much as ever but she is more active when she is awake
She is more affectionate
She is more relaxed at noises (very weird but true)
Oh, and did I mention she runs to meet me in the morning ;) I was so scared the first night but that all faded away when she ran up to me. When I went to the hutch every morning she couldn't wait to get out and ignored me, not anymore. Hoorah:love:

The only downside is that Huppie's toilet area has doubled now she isn't controlling where she goes as much - she doesn't just go in her litter tray anymore, grrrrrr. It is worth it though and when we get her bonded we'll have to start all over with litter training anyway so I don't mind too much.

If you can, put your fears in a box and go for it!

Emma

I'm glad it is working for you! My bunny can be 'out' all night....but not 'outside' all night. The double hutch is inside a playhouse and can be left with the bottom doors secured open and Mint is able to use the rest of the playhouse all night. If it is a warm night the playhouse door can be left open and the full door mesh gate (nothing can get in at all) locked. If the night is colder then the playhouse door gets shut too. I do just save the outdoor run for the day, as we actually have foxes that are bold enough to walk across the garden in the evening, goodness knows what they'd get up to at night !

I guess it all depends on your level of confidence and how secure you have made the bunny-rabits environment as to whether you allow all night access outside.

If you put a 'toilet area' like a plastic tray with paper in, in one place she might learn to go in it eventually. She will need to poop all around her territory first to mark it as 'her space', but she should eventually choose one spot where you can put a loo.
Mine can come and go all day and night as they please, and are safely enclosed in a huge walk in run. They nearly knock each other out in the race to meet me in the mornings!
I think this is a much more natural way of life. They usually tuck themselves up in their hutch just after it gets dark in the winter, but often lay out all night in the summer when it is warm.

Have you any thoughts in getting her a husbun???

My two are out first light in the morning and put away when it gets dark, otherwise they are loose all the time. They have a corner of the compound where they poo - the poo corner and they have dug a huge burrow so if they did go down there and hide, at least they could stay there.

Glad your bunny is happy.

Aww, that's great :D I'm glad you and her are happy with the new arrangement. It might be her litter training improves a bit when she's more used to having full time access - you could also try a second try in her run so she doesn't have to go so far for the loo if she's busy :lol:

Back