• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bun food

Lucy

Warren Veteran
At what age do you normally take babies off their junior food and move them onto adult food? I would be interested to see what others do as I have seen a few variations on this. I would say feeding them on junior till 6 months is ideal, unless they are underweight, then I would keep them on it a bit longer.

I would be interested in people's views too, as Alfie is coming up to 5 mths now.

Also, does he need to be kept on Excel Junior and Dwarf (he's a mini lop) or would he be ok with normal Excel? I'm wondering why adult dwarf breeds would need different nutrition requirements to any other adult buns. :?

I've moved my 8 week fluffs onto normal (although they are still getting ad lib) mum was dropping caecotrophs like there was no tomorrow and the babies were starting to as well. I was a bit worried about fly strike, especially as they are long haired and it was getting stuck to their fur so switched them over. I find they don't like the taste quite so much so are actually eating what they need rather than stuffing their faces :)

I do still give them a handful of junior as a bribe for some cuddle time.

No reason why a small breed like a nethie can't have adult pellets. My Rosie does and is by no means underweight. They don't have different requirements (although probably an elivated calorie intake per kilo compared to a giant because of a higer surface area to body mass & therefore more heat loss...but I don't think it would make that much difference) but the size of pellet is a bit easier to eat for small mouths.

Phoebe was kept on a junior food till he was about 8 month old, but ideally I would of had him off at 6 months, this was because the change in food (Even done slowly) would upset his tummy. I found he was very hypeactive though due to the high energy content, so i think its ideal as soon as your bun is either neutered or hits 6 month old

Funnily, I've just made the decision today to start swapping my 'girls' Tinks and Esme (both about 7/8 months) onto adult food mainly because I want them on the same food as the males when the are bonded. I have been pondering it more with Tinks' history (need for nutrition), but feel reassured now that it will be okay... though I think I shall give her a few pellets of 'baby' food daily for quite a while.

I wasn't sure as the bag says feed to "growing rabbits" and they have some growing to do yet, so it's good to know what other people do.

the only pellet that I know is specifically for buns over 6 month only is the Oxbow T pellet where it specifically states on the packet "for adults only". Sooty was on adult from about 12 weeks and is one healthy bunster :D

I would imagine that they need the junior food till they have finished growing, thats why I think 6 months is ideal.

I feed A+P Natural Pellets from weaning onwards. I dont think a 'Junior' Pellet feed is necessary unless the youngsters are to be Breeding Stock

I would imagine that they need the junior food till they have finished growing, thats why I think 6 months is ideal.

yes but if you look at say the protein/fat/calcium ratios of say Pets at home "adult" and Excel junior, they are very much the same. The only difference is that the Excel junior has a probiotic in it. As long as they are getting sufficient calories and protein to grow well and put on weight I'm not sure if it matters if they have a little more adult food which is higher in fibre or a smaller amount of junior.

This is only my second litter of fosters so I'd definately not as well qualified to talk on this subject as some but having studied the nutritional levels of the different brands of junior and adult which varies by only a few % and seen the difference in my lot on the adult excel compared to the junior...I know which one is going to be making up the majority of my feed.

This is only my second litter of fosters so I'd definately not as well qualified to talk on this subject as some but having studied the nutritional levels of the different brands of junior and adult which varies by only a few % and seen the difference in my lot on the adult excel compared to the junior...I know which one is going to be making up the majority of my feed.

Do you mean that you think the adult excel is better than the junior for young buns? Or the other way round? Sorry, I'm feeling dim tonight and not sure which one you're saying is best. :? :oops:

no I don't think it matters which one you use, once you get past about 8 weeks when weened but you might have to feed slightly more of an adult one.

In my case though it's better as mum was obviously not very good on the junior and I was having to scrape down the floor every day......had two days now of no caecotrophs and I get mobbed by the babies when it's time for their extra junior feed which they like best. So for me it's all good.

Last edited:
Back