• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rexes sore hocks

Lucy

Warren Veteran
I've never had a rex in with sore hocks before. A 1 year old female has come in today with scabby hocks. The fosterer said she's shuffling on them as if she's on hot coals and licking them a lot. She was living in a 4ft cage with a litter tray in that she used. Any suggestions on why the hocks would be sore and the best thing to do for her?

what was she standing on - the wooden floor of the hutch?

I researched this when my own rex had sore hocks and it seems that one cause is pressure - like pressure sores in humans

So a cushioned floor, rather than a hard wooden one, can alleviate it.

I also had some cream from the vet - dermisol, although a lot of people here use flammazine - I dont know the difference or pros/cons though

Prob cause shes just been sitting there putting pressure on them When Claudes were really bad id use aloe vera gel and sudacream
But when the vet last saw them she said just to leave them to harden up because a lot of things soften them which is sometimes worse

rexs are prone to sore hocks.I would ask your vet for some Flamazine cream,pescription only,and some pain relief for her

I would imagine she's been spending a lot of time in the 4ft cage on sawdust. As she's licking them a lot I would imagine they are troubling her.

Flamazine Cream has been the most effective treatment for my Rexes that have sore hocks.

If the skin is broken then systemic abx may also be needed as infection can get into the joint and tendons.

Systemic analgesia is usually required

Housing the Rex on a soft clean dry substrate is essential

My first thoughts are how deep was her bedding/litter tray and what were they made up of? how often were they changed? was she ever on concrete or any other hard abrasive surfaces when out of her cage, and how long are her nails?

Dermisol is good....hope these suggestions are of help and you are able to get to the bottom of it and make things a bit easier for the poor little girl.

I feel really sorry for the rex's I've seen with sore hocks - they can be very prone to them:cry:

Very deep, soft and clean bedding helps, avoiding carpet/concrete/hard floors as much as possible.

I work with people who get pressure sores, maybe giving her some pressue relief for half an hour, picking her up and stroking her, or making like a sling that can go around you that bun can snuggle down in to give some pressue relief?
I know that probably sounds a bit far fetched - but my bun would probably quite happily sit in a sling attached to me if i had one - just an idea!! :)
The key to "pressure sores" i think is not only providing something comftable and soft for the bun(or human) to stand/sit on but to atleast provide some kind of pressure relief for a short while

The nails are very long. I already told the foster to put lots of hay on top of newspaper for her so it's nice and deep and soft hor her.

Back