• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

14 week old netherland dwarf rabbit's illness and subsequent death.

lexiecon

New Kit
I'm a new member so I know many, if not most, of you are not familiar with me or my rabbits. But, sadly, overnight, one of my newest additions -- a 14 week old netherland dwarf -- passed away. And the other bunny brought home from the same breeder (same age and breed rabbit) is now showing rapid signs of deterioration.

I checked on the rabbits last night before heading to bed and that's when I noticed that Rowan was acting off. Chandler was in the front of the pen picking at her pellets and drinking water, but Rowan was kind of "hunkered" down in the back of the pen in her litter pan. I slid the pan out (with the bunny in it) and immediately noticed that her eyes were nearly gummed shut. I picked her up and cleaned her eyes with a warm cotton ball and did a complete check over, but other than her eyes being wet and her acting lethargic, she seemed okay. Her nose was clear, her breathing was not labored, and her stomach felt normal. She had been eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing so I doubt it had anything to do with that. And she's always been the quiet one since bringing the pair home from the breeder. I am now left to think that she may have always been sick, but just slipped under my radar.

I pulled both Rowan and Chandler out and put them into two of my quarantine pens in the other room. I stayed up with them a bit, but then decided to go to bed myself since they truly seemed stable. And I woke up this morning to find that Rowan had passed. And now Chandler is showing the same signs of illness.

My poor Chandler and Rowan never even had a chance. Unfortunately it is Sunday morning here and the only vet that has emergency hours for small animals is telling me that they feel they can do nothing to help. Their thought is that the bunny most likely won't make it the hour plus drive and even if she did we would be facing euthanization based on her symptoms and how rapidly the other bunny passed. They said that we could try to bring her in, but that the best thing to do would be to help her stay comfortable. We have decided to watch her for a couple of hours and if she seems to get worse, we'll take the risk and bring her in. I'm absolutely sick over this and have called the breeder I got the pair from and am now waiting to hear back from her. I know I've only had them for less than a week, but I'm heartbroken nonetheless.

I'm honestly not sure what I'm dealing with here. The discharge from both rabbits' eyes is clear. There is no sign of nasal discharge. They ate, drank, and eliminated normally until, for Rowan, the end. And their breathing and gut sounds all seem normal. It doesn't seem like it's pasteurella or another similar illness, but I don't know for certain. I am hoping the breeder I got them from will do a necropsy on Rowan. I still am holding on to hope that Chandler will pull through. Could this be a simple case of stress? Or am I dealing with an illness or virus of some sort. Any suggestions or thoughts would be welcome -- and keep in mind that I am from the US where we do not have VHD or myxi.

Today's been a sad day...

Rest in peace, sweet Rowan. And fight hard, baby Chandler.

Sorry, I don't have any advice but wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you and have my fingers crossed for baby Chandler. poor Rowen.:(

Sorry I can't offer any advice either, baby bunnies are just so delicate :( Binky free little Rowan, thoughts and prayers with Chandler.x

I'm very sorry for the loss of your rabbit. It's not unusual for a rabbit that has lost its partner to feel pretty glum but if her eyes swell as well then you have a real problem.

If you weren't in the USA, the eyes would have indicated mixi but it almost certainly can't be that. I would personally have a PM done as what ever it is may put your own and other rabbits at risk.

I guess it's time for me to revisit this thread...

I've not wanted to even log on to the forum because I was afraid of coming back to this thread. I have been too heartbroken and choked up to write and I apologize because I know many people have had me and my bunnies in their prayers -- I know an update is in order.

I suppose I'll begin with the "good" news first. Chandler is still fighting. I say that this is positive because I honestly didn't believe that she would make it even a couple of hours yesterday let alone through the night and into today. She is a strong little girl and I am praying that she can fight her way through this. I waited until about 3:00pm yesterday before rushing her to the emergency vet. She had been doing marginally better before I decided to take her in the vet, but her eyes started looking almost "gummy" as opposed to watery and she looked extremely uncomfortable and that is what prompted me to take her in despite the distance and stress it may have caused her. She did stay the night and then I chose to pick her up this morning and transfer her to our regular vet for continued care.

The emergency vet gave her some metacam and some sub-q fluids and she seemed to improve somewhat, but she still wouldn't eat or perk up enough to warrant her being able to come home. She did pass some poops and urinated as well, but that was early on in the night and by this morning it was obvious that her GI tract had slowed considerably. They had asked whether I wanted to euthanize, but I was honestly appalled as she was still fighting and improving with the however minimal treatment she was given. This morning my vet repeated the metacam and sub-q fluids and also made a pellet and oat slurry for her which she did get in her. But it's now almost 2:30pm and she hasn't peed or pooped since about 8:00pm last night. The vet took some x-rays and they came back inconclusive and we are waiting on the blood work to come back from the lab. Because she seems so fragile we're playing a waiting game right now -- there's really not much more any of us can do and the subject of euthanasia has come up again. And this time we are seriously considering it based on what we do know. For now we're holding tight since she does not appear to be in pain, but should she begin to look seriously uncomfortable we will do whatever is necessary in order to keep her comfortable. My heart is just breaking for her and for the fact that there seems to be no simple resolution. I just want my baby to be okay...

I did get in touch with the breeder I got the Rowan and Chandler from and she stopped by this morning to pick up Rowan's body. It seems that one of the other kits from the litter is beginning to show similar signs and symptoms and so she is going to get a necropsy done on Rowan immediately in the hope that we can find out what is going on with the babies. I honestly do believe that it is going to be too late for Chandler, but hopefully the other kit can have a heightened chance at survival. Maybe that will help me feel as though Rowan's death had a purpose. I just wish it didn't have to happen this way.

The breeder offered me 2 replacement bunnies, but I had to pass. At least for now. What with one of the other kits possibly becoming ill and the loss of Rowan so fresh in my mind, I am just not ready. I don't even know what I'm going to do if Chandler doesn't happen to pull through. The thought scares me so much because I already miss Rowan terribly -- I can't fathom losing my Chandler as well.

So I ask for continued prayers. My other rabbits are all doing well and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with any of them, but I am rightly afraid that something could occur. I hope we get the results on Rowan's necropsy within the next day or so and that there is some kind of finding that will lead us to an answer of some sort. The waiting and worrying is just terrible and I can't even begin to think about the possibility of Chandler not making it. So, please, keep us all in your thoughts. I promise to do the same for all of you.

Please forgive me as this message may be brief, I just can't see through the tears to write.

It is with a very, very heavy heart that I need to write this message. I just returned from the vet about 45 minutes ago. We elected to put Chandler down as she was obviously in a lot of pain and there were no easy answers as to what would help her to feel better or, even, to recover. It was very peaceful and I'd like to hope that Chandler knew that we acted on her best interest. We were with her to the very end and I held her and cried once she passed. I know she was only a part of my life for such a short time, but I love her all the same and no one can ever replace her or Rowan -- my two new angel bunnies.

The breeder's sick kit is now also at the vet and it's not looking good. I don't know whether the baby is male or female and I don't know his or her name, but if you could offer some thoughts and prayers their way, I know it would be appreciated. There's no news yet on the necropsy and Chandler's blood tests were inconclusive aside from a very high white blood count (which could be explained away by infection, pain response, stress, or any other number of issues) so there doesn't seem to be much hope out there. But I believe in prayer and maybe the baby can hold on until some kind of answer is found. They are beginning to question whether it is a genetic issue and I suppose that makes as much sense as anything else, but that doesn't seem positive to me since that would put all of the other babies at risk. And that is too devastating to even think about right now. So, maybe a prayer is in order for all the babies. I know Chandler and Rowan are doing their part -- now I must do mine...

I am so sorry the news couldn't be more positive. I feel guilty finding this site and then immediately needing to ask for the forum's support, advice, and prayers -- but I guess we don't get to choose when a bunny's time is up. I'm just grateful to have found you all when I did.

Please forgive me as this message may be brief, I just can't see through the tears to write.
I am so sorry the news couldn't be more positive. I feel guilty finding this site and then immediately needing to ask for the forum's support, advice, and prayers -- but I guess we don't get to choose when a bunny's time is up. I'm just grateful to have found you all when I did.

Hi lexie, really sorry to hear of your loss, none of us choose our time but at least your buns can now binky free. It's so saddening to hear of the loss of a bun but writing your thoughts and feelings on here leave a testament, i would imagine most people on here (including myself) have suffered the death of a bun and know exactly how you are feeling.
It was only last week that we lost one of our pair and the thoughts, experiences and condolences from here made it that much more bearable.
All the best
Leon

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost both your baby buns. I know how quickly we get attached to these little ones and how soon they find a place in our hearts. I lost my lovely boy to myxi two years ago and that broke my heart. It always seems worse when they are young as when they are older we can at least think they had a decent time with us. My thoughts are with you and my fingers are crossed for the other baby. Pam.X

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely bunnies. I really feel for you, it must have been truely devastating to lose both of them especially as there is so much uncertainty surrounding their passing. It really does sound like a bit of a mystery, it might be a long shot but have they tested for Toxoplasma Gondii? It's not very common in the U.S but it has symptoms of runny eyes, lethargy and can be acute in young bunnies? It is a disease of the central nervous system but discharge around the eyes may be the first thing that comes to light esp in young buns. Whatever it is I really hope they get to the bottom of it for you. xxx

Back