• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

silly question #5 how do you punish a bun?

MammaH

Alpha Buck
binx somehow managed to pull my phone charger off my dressing table and chewed it! ibviously it doesn't work and ive banished him to his cage, how do you make him realise hes done wrong?

You dont :? Its your fault for leaving the charger where he could get it! You should be thankful he wasnt electrocuted if it was plugged in :)

thats the thing it was in a safe place, it was out of reach, or so i thought and id just gone to the loo n came back n he'd some how managed to get it down :shock:

i dont think you can really punish really you can train to prevent though, biggles used to chew wires but he doesnt no more, if i see him wandering i will go Nooooooo or a noise, or threaten with bed before hes due, took me 2 years though :roll: but hes 5 now

hehe if a bun wants something he will get it, if it was the las thing you touched he had his eyes on it, before you went to the loo:lol:

Rabbits can't associate punishment with what they have done, so you can't really "punish" them, a light squirting with water when they go near something they shouldn't might work but you have to do it at the time they are misbehaving not after...but yeah with bunnies it is easier to make sure they can't get anything that you don't want damaging

i think punish was too strong a word :oops: but i just cant believe he'd managed to get it! and i dont know how he got it either, but when i came bk into the room he had it in his mouth and i just stared and said binx you naughty rabbit! he's now in his cage sleeping :roll:

:lol: don't worry I know what you mean. But any action has to be done at the time, afterwards they just won't understand why. Some people say if you squirt water and say "no" sharply they get to associate "no" with getting squirted and stop whatever they are doing. I have completely failed with this method though :roll:

I use bunny language to make my rabbits know they did bad, IMEDIATELY after they do something wrong I walk up to them, stamp my feet, then turn my back to them making it obvious I'm not talking to them. After a few moments they start nudging my legs asking for forgiveness xD

Might make you feel daft, but it works with my buns. And they also know what "NO!" means since I've had to say it a lot, and they listen to me now xD

I use bunny language to make my rabbits know they did bad, IMEDIATELY after they do something wrong I walk up to them, stamp my feet, then turn my back to them making it obvious I'm not talking to them. After a few moments they start nudging my legs asking for forgiveness xD

I do that with my two. I don't think Smokey cares if I ignore her though, as long as she still gets fed:lol:. Inky hates it if I ignore him though, I usually crumble after 30 seconds of his 'big eyes' look.

Well its all a matter of training, no point getting upset after the event, right well it may take several weeks or even months but here is how you do it...

When seeing any exposed wire train yourself to pick it up and put it in a draw or cover in trunking.

Make sure you switch off all appliances just incase the little lovely finds a way to get to a wire

Try and view all things from a bunny perspective....e.g. is there chair that he can get on which will then allow him onto the table/desk etc...

Make sure you give bunny a nose rub whever passing - he will consider it most rude to ignore him and be likely to need to get your attention by way of destruction

Train yourself no notice if bunny is bored.... play with him give him safe things to chew or get him a friend

Good luck I'm sure you can do it :wave::D

'No' and a stamped foot works most of the time for me with the rabbits. The hamster interpreted 'no' to mean 'better chew twice as quick becasue she is about to stop me!:lol:

I have to agree with Julia, you have to expect to train yourself with bunnies ;) And you certainly can't discipline them when the naughty act is over, even if it's only been a minute or even a few seconds, you must tell them during the act.

If one of mine is doing something naughty, like digging the carpet, I clap loudly and say no. It distracts them for a moment and they usually start again :roll: :lol: I continue to do it until they get the idea that digging yummy carpet = crazy woman making nasty noise :lol: Of course this approach doesn't work with Bobbin being deaf, so instead I herd him out of the way :)

Somethings can't be put out of reach, like carpet but as a bunny owner you will learn to have an eye for all possible dangers :)

I have to agree with Julia, you have to expect to train yourself with bunnies ;) And you certainly can't discipline them when the naughty act is over, even if it's only been a minute or even a few seconds, you must tell them during the act.

If one of mine is doing something naughty, like digging the carpet, I clap loudly and say no. It distracts them for a moment and they usually start again :roll: :lol: I continue to do it until they get the idea that digging yummy carpet = crazy woman making nasty noise :lol: Of course this approach doesn't work with Bobbin being deaf, so instead I herd him out of the way :)

Somethings can't be put out of reach, like carpet but as a bunny owner you will learn to have an eye for all possible dangers :)

Yep there is so much you have to keep your eye on :lol:

Bobbin deaf:shock: ahh poor little fella.

~We use to clap and say no when Bunnie was being naughty, now she kn ows when she is being naughty and has that look about her so we just watch her like hawks to see what she planning.:roll:

Back