• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny bum bath

milly100

Alpha Buck
Ive just had to give my bunny a bum bath. Since we got her 2 years ago her bum has always needed cleaned. She sits in her litter tray all the time. Ive just clipped away some of the fur which had become a little matted. Ill do her again tomorrow with some baby wipes. Shes in the huff at the mo!! So I best leave her. When she was at the vets for her myxi vac I mentioned it to the vet but of coarse she was clean so he couldnt really see what I meant. He told me just to keep checking her bum and clean it when neccessary. She goes ages where her bum is clean and fine. Has anyone got any other advice???

Hi Milly,
Aww sorry to hear she's having problems. :( Occasionally, one of my buns used to get the same problems & the main thing I would suggest is to try and get to the root of the problem before anything else. If all things are well, regular poops should be firm (not hard), even in size, and nice & fibrous, the cecal pellets you will rarely see with a bit of luck, so if things are flowing through her gut well it is unlikely to cause her to get anything stuck to her bottom, whether she sits in her tray or not. Whenever my bun got messy I had to re-examine his diet and really think about what could have been causing the problem & eliminate it. It may be just a case of reducing her veg intake and encouraging lots more hay. I hope this is some help.xx

yup..is bunny overweight? if so then reduce food and increase veggies n hay.
cut down fruit to once in a blue moon...the sugars help the bad guts bacteria overflow. no shop treats like choccy or yoghurt drops etc..i know i used ot buy them for other buns id had in past but belive you me its not a good idea at all!

what food is being fed...pelelts all in oen is best..the mixes tend to make em fussy and they pick out the bits htey like and leave the stuff usually best for them....

give green veg in smaller amounts maybe..i have two buns who have sensitive tums to vegggies..one whos a permanent soft poo bum bunny.
try herbs instead like basil,mint,coriander,rosemary and even lavender!

has your bun has their teeth thoroughly checked?

fat buns...buns with even tiny dental spurs on their molars..buns who get stressed very easily or are in the middle of say a huge family with no queit time to themselves....buns who may have parasites..treat with panacur for a month then every few months treat for 9 days to prvent or help control E.C

personaly id stop foods and treats and veg and fruit etc ALL of it for a whole week..feed only water and a good top quality timothy hay thats green..like the oxbow one from the hay experts.....or even the gren stalky one form the dust free hay company. feed as much as your bun will eat several times a day even. whilst doing this for a second week add bio lapis to the water and to very small amounts of pellets re introduced into the diet.
alongside this buy a tube of fibreplex..and itll last about two days..use it as directed until all gone basically.

it sounds a lot but i know how bad it can be..really i can..im an expert on bunny bum bathing!:oops: over the years!

youll be surprised what a difference it makes...and youre doing the best thing..clip or shave as close as poss all the fur that gets pooey..even the underneath of the tail..when bif was that bad at various intervals we used a dog shaver and she virtually had tail and no knickers or tummy fur further down than her mid tummy area as it was always so dirty and that way it was easier to wash/bath and dry and help keep clean for her and us.
the wipes are useless..try some pet shampoo in a bit of warm water and using lumps of cotton wool or old flannel/face cloth/squares of old towels.....wipe down to clean up..bin flannels if that bad or sluice off and soak in napisan before washing without any of your washing!

i recently tried a shampoo from pets at home it was brill but oh so pricey! i usually use "squeaky clean" shampoo for little animals......but the pah home one is still virtually full!! also clip any clumps of matted foot fur as the poo really binds it up doesnt it..yuk.

i could never describe the smell until my grandaughter was born..new born baby poo!!:lol: yuk!!

heres a tip i leanrt form an usa site....get some plain old cornflour and pour it on the soft poo..leave it then rub it in and pull the poo off the fur..it kinda slides off..eww but if you remove as much a sposs before a butt bathit really does help..

please remember stress makes meworse so for the first few shampoo butt baths clipping etc it will seem worse then itll even up and then hopefully itll improve! by the way..use the bio lapis for at least 3 weeks minimum!!

we found out today bif has a problem with her jaw as well as having severe stress reactions:(

but shes not as bad as she was bumwise thanks to bio lapis and fibreplex. taking her off science selective and putting her on allen and page helped a lot too.

good luck!:wave:

Back