• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch clean up for winter

tickles

Mama Doe
A few quick questions sorry if they sound silly I have had my ryedals alittle while now and they really need a good spruce up as they seem not to have worn well and need wood staining do i do inside aswell as outside and if so how long do i need to leave it before buns go in again.?

The interior does not necessarily need recoating, however as long as it is an animal friendly one you can do this. Ensure it is dry before putting them back into it.

With the exterior add some cooking oil to the preservative and you will find the rain will run off it, most hutch manufacturers do recommend a 6 month - 1 year recoat.

I only ever stain the outside of hutches or playhouses.

You need to use a pet-friendly wood preservative, they sell them in most DIY shops.

If you're only doing the outside, once it's dry, you're safe to put the rabbits back in.

thank you what a great tip cooking oil i wouldnt have thought that.
Ryedale did say to do it again this year so i cant fault them there :}
Thinks i will do it today as there is a nice wind blowingso it will dry well.

I use Cuprinol as it is animal friendly and only do mine on outside of wendy house. They now do a 5 year one too.

Back