• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly bun ... please help

Clara11

Young Bun
My Jack's a bit of poorly boy this morning and I don't know what to do :cry:

I came down this morning and normally while I'm getting their breakfast they are both under my feet scrounging around but there was just no interest at all.

He hasn't eaten anything which is most definately not like him.

I have just seen him cocking his tail too. He done it, shifted a bit and done it again and then kind of wiggled his bum and done it again, but nothing came out, no poo or wee. He is bonded so I don't know if he has been at all over night.

I think he's tummy is a little swollen but I'm not sure, theres also no gurgling or teeth grinding to indicate pain he's in pain, he's just looking a bit sorry for himself really.

Anyone got any ideas, what can I do for him? :cry:

It sounds like stasis so some simethicone (baby gas liquid) might help, but if he doesn't improve he'll need to go to a vet.

Seems to be a lot of it about at the moment. Could it be cos they are moulting and ingesting much more fur?

Hope he gets better real soon.

It sounds as though he might have a urinary tract problem if he is straining to wee.
He really needs Veterinary attention today, particularly if his tummy looks swollen.
I would advise you to call your Out-of-Hours Veterinary service to seek their advice. It sounds as though Jack will need medication to help him.

Good luck

I think I would take him to the vet, as they can go downhill so quickly :(
Keep a really close eye on him to see if he's pooping - if not then he could have a blockage, but if he's not eating then it sounds like stasis. Is his stomach hard feeling - compare it to your other bun's tum, to see if they are different.

I hope he starts improving :)

Do you mean like Infacol?? Going to sound quite dumb now, how much do I give him and how? I've never dealt with stasis before, do I put it in water and dilute it or just straight in the mouth?

My poor boy :cry:

Yeah his tummy is feeling hard and definatley swollen compared to Poppy's

He's just sitting with his back to me everytime I go near him :cry:

I just tried calling the emergency vet on the mobile no it gave me and the phones switched off ...... :censored: unbelievable

i feel like crying the useless :censored:

Sorry :lol: bit of anger venting there!!!

Oh no, have you used them before? Keep trying. If I phone my normal vets at the weekend then the answer machine thingie gives the emergency vets number - could you try a different vets to see if they use a different emergency vets? :(

Do you mean like Infacol?? Going to sound quite dumb now, how much do I give him and how? I've never dealt with stasis before, do I put it in water and dilute it or just straight in the mouth?

My poor boy :cry:

Yes, couldn't think of the name! He may take it from the dropper, one of mine did (quite happily) when she had stasis, if not dilute it in a bit of water and use the dropper to carefully syringe it - you may need a helper to keep him still. Jut give him a little bit at a time, I'd say no more than 1/4 of a dropper.

Well I've got through to another surgery and they said to take him down at 2:20 but keep an eye and if he deteriorates take him immediately.

He's just laying in his litter tray he's been there for over an hour with his back to us all looking very sorry for himself.

I'm wondering about putting him in his run see if some movement might help or the temptation of grass might get him eating but I dont wanna move him if he's really poorly and just got comfortable.

What do you reckon should I try that or just leave him be?

You could get him to move round a bit to see if that will start the guts working. That could be inside or outside as it is not too cold today. Make sure you keep him warm though and give some tummy rubs too. Can you get him to take some more fluids. try some water with a dash of boiling in so it is just lukewarm - you can try giving it in a bowl or syringing some.

He has been drinking but he does this funny kind of twist thing after, still no wee or poop and no food yet.

I opened the back door and he got up and went out so I'm hoping thats a good sign, surely he wouldn't have gone out if he was that poorly :?

Problem is now I won't see if he does any business :roll:

O only just seen this. It does sound like he's straining to wee but not doing anything, like Jane said, maybe a UTI. He'll feel uncomfortable and off colour which may be wh he's not eating. One of our bunnies got a UTI, first sign was she wouldn't eat, I popped her out on grass to tempt her too and she had a tiny nibble but kept stopping and straining, each time only a few drops would come out poor girl. A quick jab from the vets though and a few hours later she was much brighter.
You've done good in getting him a vets appt.
Hopefully be it stasis or UTI, some meds from the vet will have him feeling much better in no time.

Thanks everyone for your replies really appreciate it, the little devil had me worried sick this morning.

Well after making the appt for the emergency vet I opened the back door to see if he'd be interested and off he went, within half an hour of being in the garden he was running about as if nothing had happened :lol:

He is now eating, binkying and basically being he's normal cheeky self. I called the vets and we agreed to hold off to see what would happen over the next couple of hours but he really does seem fine now so don't feel the need to take him in as an emergency. I gave him the warm water and lots of tummy rubs and with him moving about it does seem to have done the trick.

I'm gonna take him to his normal vet tomorrow just to be on the safe side anyway and monitor when he comes in to check his weeing and pooping ok, I'm 90% sure he is but haven't actually seen him do it.

I'd been out for the last few nights ...... maybe he was just making sure he got lots of extra special attention today :lol:

I'd been out for the last few nights ...... maybe he was just making sure he got lots of extra special attention today :lol:

You know it!
emoticonlol.gif

Phew, glad he is feeling better. Just as well to get him checked out tomorrow in case he is straining and needs some abx.

Yeah I certainly will do, I'll phone the vet first thing and get him down straight after work.

Will be keeping a very close wee and poo watch tonight, he has just come in from the garden so if I can catch him in the act I'll finally be able to relax!. First signs of him going back downhill I'll call them back and take him straight away.

They certainly keep us on our toes hey :lol:

Back