• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need advice and as always HELP

mack27

New Kit
;) I got my first rabbits at 8 and have been hooked ever since, I had 10 until I took one to the vet with a runny nose within 24hours all but one had been put to sleep due to mixi. I was heart broken and havnt kept one since then, a few years on and im about to forsake my country bumpkin ways for high flying city life. Im moving out of my mums animal mad house and into a flat which unfortunatly rules out keeping a cat or dog but I cant bear not having anything to look after I always kept outdoor rabbits but have been umming and ahhing over the possibility of keeping rabbits again and trying the whole indoor rabbit malarky and could do with a bit of advice. it would be great if someone could talk me through the pros and cons, what id need, what to expect, do they make good indoor pets? Are certain breeds better than others? any advice would be appreciated.

I've always had indoor rabbits, as I live in the city, and can't keep outdoor animals.. I think this only as a plus :) I do wish they could see more of the outside, when the weather is nice, I have a fenced patio, and they can stretch their legs in the sun, but don't see any grass :cry:

Of all 3 rabbits I have kept as "house rabbits", I'd have to say the larger breeds tend to do better, but this is just in my experience. I have an American Checkered Giant named Polo (13 pounds), and he is the best behaved/suited to house rabbit life. Most people will say that larger breeds are more laid back, etc, but honestly any breed of rab, if properly trained and corrected during the litter training process, can be a great house rabbit!

When starting out, it seems best to start small and only allow access to a single room or single part of the house, to maintain their tidy habits.. they'll respect their own area and leave their poos in the right place there, so you have to gradually introduce them to larger free areas so that they dont get too excited and leave their poos all about your house.

With Polo, I started out with him being always in his hutch/run (I use an 8ft x 2ft dog exercise pen), which is located in my bedroom. After he had tidy habits there, I let him out for about 30 minutes every evening in my room, correcting him when need be.. (picking up poos, discouraging from chewing baseboard, etc) then once I trusted him, I allowed him to be out in my room for long periods of time.. eventually we introduced him to the living room as well, which is the extent of "his" house. (We have a very small condo, where the kitchen/living room is conjoined, then there are two bedrooms.. one being mine, one being the roommate's, where he isn't allowed as its not bun-proofed..

Which is the next topic, lol! Bunproofing! Have to make sure that all cords are put up or carefully wrapped in plastic or somehow protected from chewing. Anything wood, expect it to be chewed on.. Make sure no poisonous plants are in their reach, etc.. And check your wires often. I just noted last night that Polo has taken to nibbling on the plastic wrap around my lamp cord, which I had to replace the plastic shielding today.

I think they make amazing indoor pets :) We have a housecat as well, and its no secret where my favor lies...

Back