• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mother has no interest in babies

jesska

Alpha Buck
well i work in a pet shop and i love it, its amazing working birds reptiles and all small animals but today somone brought in some baby rabbits and mother i have no idea how old they are mum is wild looking colour but with lop ears and babies are all black but there is 5 and 1 very very little one like half the size im not sure this is going to survive but any look who the dummy who bloody got them haha and iv also got a quail too what iv named meggie what got pick on had blood all over her head lol never thought id have one of them though.
anywayss after background info i dont think mother is very interested in them,how do i get her to look at them?? she keep walking across them and just trying to get my attention. like how do i know she feeding them im watching but she not realy going to look at them, they have no fur they look kinda ugly too

They really shouldn't have moved at such a young age. I suggest putting the whole family somewhere quiet - definitely in the shop. The mum will not draw attention to them by going near them while she's stressed about noise and bussle around.

The mum only feeds once a day so I suggest you check the babies 24hrs after they are brought in to see if they have fat tummies and aren't showing signs of dehydration.

Tamsin

Buns generally aren't seen with there young, Hattie was never around her babies when they were born. Keep them in a quiet area where they wont be disturbed. You dont want the mum getting scared by noises and such as she will stay away from her babies or could even harm them. Though i've never had a mummy bunny harm her babies before.

oh thank you for your help there at home with me now, they are in the summer house at like the bottom of the avairy its nice and dark warm dry and quiet. i am i allowed to touch them? :shock: well i dont if she hurting them she just playful and she kinda just walking over the nesting area and like standing on it, i think she more interested what im doing.

oh thank you for your help there at home with me now, they are in the summer house at like the bottom of the avairy its nice and dark warm dry and quiet. i am i allowed to touch them? :shock: well i dont if she hurting them she just playful and she kinda just walking over the nesting area and like standing on it, i think she more interested what im doing.

only handle if you must, if you do make sure you dont smell of other animals or anything. We used to rub our hands in hay for a minute before handling very young babies to make sure we didnt put a scent on them

My hattie walked about on her nest quiet often when the babies were little, dont worry about it too much

Back