• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ronnie and Reggie - Seperate cages :( *Update - Hes Home after Operation!*

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Well...

Last night we were woke in the early hours with ronnie and reggie fighting :shock: We just thought they were having a disagreement like buns do sometimes, but we heard a very loud squeal (a bit like a guinea pig squeal :?) Went in and Reggie has a chunk missing from his ear and Ronnie was bleeding from underneath - he has a big wound near his *ahem* bits :( :shock:

Cleaned their wounds with sterile water and seperated them for about an hour, put them back together and they fought again :( Hubby threw a towel over reggie so i could pick him up and we had to keep them seperate all night.

ive not been here today as had to go to Dans mum and dads :roll: but ive come back this evening and was planning on taking them a 'ride' in the car but i only put them in the carrier and all hell broke loose again :( Reggie was trying to bit Ronnie down below again :(

Im feeling awful as im having to restrict their time in the lounge - one is having to be shut in the cage :shock: Its so cruel but theres nothing else i can do, they were so close when we first had them. I called the lady who i had them from and she wont take one back :censored: yet when we bought them she said if there was any probs to bring them back immediately :shock: Theyre off to the vets tomorrow (got an app for the morning) to get their wounds checked and a general health check :(

Forgot to mention - they have been able to see each other all day as theyre in the same room still and reggie has been biting the bars of the cage :(

xXx

Last edited:
19 weeks old. Only had them tuesday this week and theyve been fine. Im guessing theres hormones flying everywhere :? Havent got their 'bits' yet to be neutered :? Theyre giants too! So its cruel keeping them in the cage :(

Oh hun im so sorry to hear about that:cry:. If you need a hand anytime with anything just ask and ill be round in a shot.

It certainly does sound like flying hormones. I had two brothers who adored one another, the same happened to me, all hell broke loose one day. Once they were neutered they reverted back to being happy brothers.

When I recently fostered 6 giants, the boys were neutered at 16 weeks - the vet managed to find their bits.

Oh hun im so sorry to hear about that:cry:. If you need a hand anytime with anything just ask and ill be round in a shot.

Thanks Shell xXx :( theyre so big, they can only do about 1 hop in the indoor cages :shock: Its so cruel - im ashamed really but theres really nothing i can do :( Shed is up but got no insulation or shelves yet so its just... bare so cant put them in their really. And im going to feel so bad putting a lone bunny down there by themselves :(

It certainly does sound like flying hormones. I had two brothers who adored one another, the same happened to me, all hell broke loose one day. Once they were neutered they reverted back to being happy brothers.

When I recently fostered 6 giants, the boys were neutered at 16 weeks - the vet managed to find their bits.

OoOoh that sounds positive :) They really did love each other until last night, id never seen a pair of bunnies so close to be honest! If the vet things they can be neutered, i shall get them booked in for next week :D :D They'll be down there in a flash! (crosses fingers)

I hope this is the way it turns out for you aswell hun. Dont feel bad about having to keep them seperate for a while as its out of your control, so long as they are getting there run arounds thats all you can do:). Men ay?:lol:

I hope this is the way it turns out for you aswell hun. Dont feel bad about having to keep them seperate for a while as its out of your control, so long as they are getting there run arounds thats all you can do:). Men ay?:lol:

:lol: :lol: Im alternating their time out in the lounge so theres always one lose and one caged :( Vets app is 12.15 tomorrow so i shall let you all know how i get on :? Reggie is lethal too :shock: Keeps attacking me when feeding him etc, hes only been like it since last night, think hes got the devil in him :evil: :roll: xXx

Well its their own fault they have to share free range time, silly boys:roll: :lol: Im sure reggie will settle down after his bits are removed ;) Hope the vet trip goes ok and your arms arnt to sore from carrying the little lumps. I will have to pop round and see them at some point, I love giants:love:

Well its their own fault they have to share free range time, silly boys:roll: :lol: Im sure reggie will settle down after his bits are removed ;) Hope the vet trip goes ok and your arms arnt to sore from carrying the little lumps. I will have to pop round and see them at some point, I love giants:love:

:lol: Im going to have to take them in seperate carriers so will have 2 bad arms :shock: You can pop round whenever you like - feel free :D Got a little zoo going on here now :D off to bed but shall let you know how i get on tomorrow :) xXx

sorry to hear they have had a fight same thing happened to us :(

The boys were litter mates and had been fine together up until about 12 weeks when literally overnight they turned and Frank ended up having an operation on his eye after their huge fight

we had them neutered immediately but have had to keep them in separate hutches

we thought they might be friends again eventually as lie down next to each other through the mesh on the runs but when we have tried back together on neutral ground they ended up scrapping violently again

we are going to get them both a girlfriend if they get on with them so they arent lonely

I am so sorry that the breeder would not take one of them back,and sorry that things did not work out between them.Do you plan to keep them both even though they will be separate?
I wonder if your vet will know someone lovely to give one of them a home?or how do you choose which to keep??:?Thinking of you :love:

UPDATE - operation needed

Hiya all! Been to the vets today at 12.15 and its bad news :cry: Ronnies injury from the fight is worse than i thought and he has to go in tomorrow for an operation :cry: :cry: The wound is about 2" long but... like the skin is hanging off around it. Reggie has basically tried to castrate Ronnie :( :cry: the vets also think something is wrong with Ronnies tummy as its swollen, its really rounded and solid. :cry: He is off to the vets tomorrow morning at 8.15am to get sorted. Im so upset, i feel its all my fault. I had doubts before i even fetched them about having 2 boys. He is getting neutered tomorrow too so its going to be a big ordeal for him :( I feel guilty that i didnt take them to the vets sooner, im an awful bunny mummy :cry:

Reggies ear is healing fine, vet is pleased with him so ive got in touch with a lady i know who is willing to take Reggie for me as the vet has said not to put them together again and he doubts ronnie will bond with another rabbit :( :( Im hoping he will want a wifey one day as he cant stay alone in his big shed, id feel sorry for him.

Bet you all think im so awful but im really not :(

After Truffle and Dandy had a fight the vet said not to put them back together but i did and there fine now
Im sure given time to get over this he would bond to a female rabbit

After Truffle and Dandy had a fight the vet said not to put them back together but i did and there fine now
Im sure given time to get over this he would bond to a female rabbit

I hope so :? I really do! I cant keep Reggie i really cant as how im keeping him at the moment is cruel :( Also Reggie is trying to get at Ronnie through the cage bars, when he has his feel range time he doesnt run round the lounge, he just tried to get at Ronnie. Ronnie cowers in the cage corner. Its so cruel and i cant go on like it. I feel a failure :( I know ive failed with these boys :cry:

I feel a failure :( I know ive failed with these boys :cry:

You are not to blame. Your instinct was to get a male and a female. Getting two males was not what you felt was best but your opinion was swayed by the woman who insisted they couldn't be separated. What you do next will show you haven't failed them :)

Sending vibes for Ronnie's op tomorrow

and he doubts ronnie will bond with another rabbit :( :( Im hoping he will want a wifey one day as he cant stay alone in his big shed, id feel sorry for him.

Don't believe it for a second. I've had some buns come in with awful injuries from previous fall outs and they have happily gone to new homes with different partners - and like Vickie said your boys may well go back together yet. Are you not getting Reggie neutered as well? From what you've said it sounds like he needs to be?

Right first things first. You are not awful, you are clearly a very good bunny mummy. These things happen and youve done the only thing you could,by taking them to the vets:) Im sure they will both be fine after a re-visit to the vet. I hope things work out for you in the long run and im sure Ronnie will get on fine with a new wife give it time. Big hugs to you.

Back