• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do about next door's cat?

pumsalient

Young Bun
Our new neighbours have moved in and their cat keeps coming to the french windows and it's really freaking Murphy out. I am keeping the curtains closed now but he still seems jittery. I have tried chasing the cat away whenever I see it but think it must be lurking around. What's more my new neighbour introduced himself to my husband today and warned him that the cat likes to kill rabbits!!!:evil: He says he will try to keep it out of our garden but I don't see how he's going to do that! Has anyone got any ideas of what I should do to calm Murphy and keep the cat away?

why don't you get a water spray and every time it comes into your garden give it a little squirt. I had a problem with next doors cats doing thier business all over my garden, i've been spraying them whenver they come near and it seems to be working.

Get a dog?:lol::lol: We haven't had a cat in the garden for years!
The water gun sounds a good idea, if chasing him away doesn't work, so long as you don't soak him!

I seriously cant imagine a cat killing a rabbit :shock: Any cats that have come in our garden have been chased away by my bunnies :lol: Just make sure that any free range play or play time in a run that is not cat proof is supervised :)

I would suggest speaking to the neighbour, just mention that their cat is hanging about at the window and frightening your bun, would they mind if you use a water sprayer to try and put the kitty off :)

Cat's will take wild rabbits & it only needs a bite to the neck to do serious damage :( You could try an electronic cat deterant. They make a noise (not audible to people) that puts off cats.

If you've got secure fencing all around and the cats going over the top you could see if your new neighbour would go half on the cat/bulgular spikes for the top of the fence.

Surely they could only take very small ones though? Im just guessing by the way, from watching our cats attack things and fight with each other then seeing two rabbits fight I was just thinking the rabbits were so much more aggressive and would be able to fight off an animal of a similar size :oops: My buns are medium size though :oops:

Edit ok sorry I didnt know cats killed rabbits as I had never heard of it and just couldnt imagine it looking at my cats and my rabbits

Tamsin - I had thought about an electronic cat scarer but thought that it would upset Murphy - are bunnies not bothered by them then?
I like the idea of the spikes I will definitely look into that. I can see I am going to have to invest in a water gun in the meantime!

my friends cats bought pretty big ones home! :shock: But they are pretty wild cats, the live in the middle of nowhere there is bunnehs everywhere! So sad tho :( x

sorry gone of topic.. but i agree with spraying the water xx

Tamsin - I had thought about an electronic cat scarer but thought that it would upset Murphy - are bunnies not bothered by them then?
I like the idea of the spikes I will definitely look into that. I can see I am going to have to invest in a water gun in the meantime!

I think they come with different settings - so you could put it one that offends the cat but the bunny can't here!

Do you know how the cat gets it your garden? maybe there is something you could do to prevent it getting in? I think you can put special wire on the top of fences

there is a water thing that you can get that squirts water at anything that moves. would need to be attached to a hose I think.

our nextdoor neighbours cats were very curious of the outdoor bunnies to begin with but now they just ignore them

What about pepper spray it worked for us when keeping cats off our plants. Not sure if its a good idea with having buns roaming free though. We have a cat that comes in and buns aren't bothered. Get trelise for around the top of the fence that will stop cats too. :)

if you put electric fence round the top of your fence that should keep the thing away. as it shocks things that touch it other than plants so that'll work fine inless the cat comes in some other way?

If the cat is outside and the rabbit is indoors whats the problem? Murphy will soon get used to him being about.

I have houserabbits board with me all year and most come from homes with no other pets, my house has cats and a dog and after a day or two they are fine and become settled and relaxed around them once they realise they aren't a threat.

Its abit extreme going to the above lengths if the cat can't actually come into contact with the bun. Cats can't get into a well built sturdy run and will get nipped toes if he tries to pop his paw through.

If Murphy is an average sized bun or the cat is not like a norwegian forest cat there won't be no murdering im sure!

I know this may be over the top( blame the wine:oops:). If my neighbour said to me their cat kills rabbits I would tell them I would hurt their cat if it came anywhere near my rabbit, and maybe they should keep their cat out of my garden.:evil:

I tried everything to keep the cats out of my garden( I used to grow veg in the garden before I got my allotment) as they used to do their business inbetween my veg(euuuggghh!!)

I tried pepper, orange peelings putting forks in the garden!

I ended up upgrading my hose pipe with the 4.99 coil hoses from home bargains, it has a nossle on the end which changes the spray. On one I can stand at the pipe tap and spray to the end of the garden.

My aim is rubbish, but the cats get the idea.

Back