• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nuetering

silverfox

Warren Scout
I am so worried about my pets. I have one dog and rabbit to be spayed on Tuesday and 3 boy rabbits are being nuetered all on the same day. Is there anything I should do for them, I will be keeping my little girl rabbit indoors and the indoor rabbit will also be staying indoors, but is it alright for two of the boys to be outside as there is not enough room indoors for 4 rabbits and a dog.

Any advice would be welcome.

I would personally keep them all in for a few days after neuters, especially as its getting cold at night now :)

When they get home just make sure they eat, drink and go to the toilet at some point. Bed them on soft towels or vetbed and keep them in a smallish area for the night, ive found our small bathroom good for this as its big enough for them to take a few hops but they cant charge around the room or anything. Also if you have heatpads I would give them too

One of my girls was quite annoyed for a few days after her spay, so I kept an eye on her but pretty much left her alone. The other one was quite sleepy the first night but seemed back to herself the next day :) And my lad was fine, you would never have guessed he had even been neutered that day! x

Where would I get vetbed from please. I know what to do about the dog, but this will be the first time I have taken rabbits to be done.

Thanks I will be keeping them all in.

If you are keeping the boys outside (and inside), I would make sure that they are kept quiet and warm, until their post op check, and make sure they are both eating and pooping. For the girl, I would make sure she is kept warm and pain free, and again is eating and toileting, it is a much bigger op for a girl. I would keep them on towels rather than shavings/straw/hay so the wounds aren't irritated and offer them hay in a hay wrack. Remember, DO NOT STARVE THEM BEFORE THE OP.

For you dog, DO starve her 12 hours before the op, afterwards keep her quiet and warm, and on strict rest. I is amazing how many people let their dogs run around a couple of days after being spayed, and can't understand why the wound becomes inflammed or the stitches burst. It is a major operation. Feed her a light meal when she comes home, but don't worry if she doen't eat until the next day.
I know how worrying it is but if you follow your vet's advice and call them if you are at all worried, they will be fine.

Let us know how they get on.

Sorry I cant offer any advice on your dog because I know nothing about them :) Im sure other people will though

You can buy vetbed in most pet shops I think, well you can here. I get mine from the vets :) If you cant get hold of any then towels are ok to use aswell, its just to keep them on something soft to try and stop irritation that could be caused by litter :) After all my buns ops I just used newspaper in the litter trays, and placed their hay in baskets next to them and if they got any on the floor I picked it up and plaed it back in the basket x

Absolutely disgusted with the vets. I took my rabbits to the vets yesterday, bought 2 new pet carriers to get them there. I arranged to get a lift of my dad booked the rabbits into vets the week before. I had three pet carriers and a dog to take, I got there paid for the nuetering and spaying. When I took the dog in to see the vet about her spaying the receptionist came in and told me that they could not do the rabbits as the RSPCA wont pay 1/2 price as I was in the wrong area. They said they would only pay Tameside, I was disgusted as one of my rabbits did'nt like the car and wee'd all over himself and was sick. They refunded my money and then wanted me to pay full price, which I told them I could'nt afford. The street behind me is classed as Tameside yet I'm Manchester, I would of thought that I would of at least had some leeway. It disgusted me as they could of told me all this the week before when I booked them in, instead they let my poor rabbits suffer a car journey and upheavel of being transported all for nothing. I also worried for days about there ops.

If they dont wont rabbits in rescues then why is there not more leeway. This is the only vets within my area, the ones in Manchester are too far away as I don't drive.

Err Rabbits cant be sick! can they?
disgusting how it depends where you live when you want them nuetured which rspca highly recomends any way:roll:

If there was a horrible mess in the carrier I would go back to the vet, rabbits cant be sick so it must have come out the other end

rabbits cant be sick. If you think he was and there was unexplained fluid perhaps that needs further investigation as bunnies cant be sick which is why they do not need to be starved before a GA. :?
As for the half price neutering etc I really couldnt comment as I've no experience on how such schemes work. i hope you can get it sorted so they can be neutered somewhere soon x

Back