• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've Been Reported!!!

SimonKD

Young Bun
One of my friendly neighbours has reported me to the local council, for breeding rabbits! A council officer came round yesterday and told me that I was in breech of my tenency. I tried to point out that I wasn't breeding them, but he wasn't really listening to me and pointed out that I have 3 weeks in which to remove the 7 kits, or I will possibly lose my house over it.

I am so :censored: it's not easy finding homes for the babys and it's not like I haven't tried but apprently that doesn't matter. :censored:

They came about due to being informed both my rabbits were boys by the pet shop and vets that I took them too to have them checked over. Neother of them seemed very intrested... :censored:

They were seperated as soon as I found out and I certainly didn't mean to get her pregnant, but apparently that doesn't matter to the council. The rabbits have had babies, therefore I am breeding them.

How old are the kits? Because surely if they're not yet five weeks old (and so, a furhter three weeks wouldn't bring them to the eight week mark), then you can't move them on? Your neighbour sounds petty and... grrr.

how old are the babies? Are they old enough to be taken away from mum? If under 8 weeks I think your could reasonably argue that is would be unsafe to remove them. Also if your boy neutered now? If you can proove to the council that it was an accidental and that you have taken reasonable steps to prevent future occurance then they may allow you to keep them until the babies can be safely re-homed.

They were born either on the 2/3 August so they are currently 6 weeks (or just about). To give the man credit he did say they didn't actually have to be gone in 3 weeks, but I did need to be able to show they had homes ready to take them. And I can't sell them (not that I was going to anyway) as that would be guilt of breeding :shock:...

Seven kits is a lot to re-home :( Do you have pics? Might be worth pming mod to put onto Rabbits in Need if you haven't done so already...

Is it the breeding of rabbits, or the actual number of rabbits, which is the breach of tenancy? Has the male been neutered yet? If so, I would get a copy of the invoice and write to the council explaining how you ended up in the current situation and enclosing the invoice to prove that you're not deliberately breeding, and being terribly reasonable about the whole thing. I would then ask for some leaway on timescales of rehoming the rabbits because they are still very young and because of the need to find good responsible homes rather than any old tom, **** or harry blah blah etc. Ask for a written response, and I'd have thought they would back down, at least over how quickly you need to rehome them.

They know that if they take you to court for breach of tenancy, they would have to prove that you are breeding, and if you can produce an invoice for neutering, then they can't prove that! Even if he hasn't been neutered yet, I would still write to them explaining stuff and make them write back. It's harder for them to be heavy handed if they have rational evidence in writing ;)

I'm sure if it came to it, there would be sufficient volunteers here to be a home ready to take them ;)

I am sorry for your plight, but I am heartened by the councils stance on not allowing breeding from their properties. From my perspective, its a way of stomping out some back street breeding. Although you were not doing this, a lot of mumpties do and, if they think they will lose their homes, maybe the £20.00 they make wont be so attractive.

Your best bet is too post some pictures under rabbits in need and also contact your local RSPCA branch and explain the situation to them. They might have space to take them in. Have you spoken to the pet shop about this?

Are you planning neutering so that your bunnies can be bonded.

I would also write a formal letter to the council and explain whats happened and what steps you are taking. That way you have some communication in writing. Does your contract restrict the amount of pets you can keep and does it say only two rabbits?

I am sorry for your plight, but I am heartened by the councils stance on not allowing breeding from their properties. From my perspective, its a way of stomping out some back street breeding.

Yes that's a good point Raine! I guess although it may not be the case here, it's probably a good rule for the council to have :D

My sister owns an ex-council house and her deeds ban the breeding of any animal. Also some councils limit the number of pets in each household, but this often only applies to dogs and cats.

The only suggestion I can make is to contact local rescue centres and ask them to take the babies at 8 weeks

firstly you need to find out regulations and what they are in relation to your particular house. get male booked in for neuter(remember not to let him back with girliess till 6-8 weeks after op as can still be fertile!!) then get a print outfrom vets to prove this was done that solves the issue of breeding. 2ndly if they are happy to reason with you then explain that in order for the babies to survive they need to be with mums for 8 weeks then after that you will organise for an already overcrowded rescue to take them on when you could haev rehomed them yourself. and to speak to said rescue regarding the situation.... also get your reciept from pet shop about buns sexes if it son their to prove you thought you had 2 same sex. hopefully during the time it takes the kits to reach 8 weeks you will be able to find a home for them.

i woudl go round to neighbours and say hello i realise you have misunderstood what has happend with my rabbits. unfortunatly you seem under the misconception i have bred them intentionally this is not actually true i was sold them as two males and now they evidently arent. however the council who know nothing about rabbits are threatening to evict me unless they can be removed iimmediatly the problem being is that as there are already 300 rescue rabbits it will be hard to find them a place as they all need otastay with mum till 8 weeks else they face all sorts of health problems and some may die. also as rabbits need 6 ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run as minimum space they are hard to rehome into proper caring homes, also the cost of neuters for all to reduce risks of cancer means that i will not be able to nueter them before finding them all homes so the problem of breeding will be intensified if i am unable to home check in such a short space of time. i wonder as you care so much to help stop breeding if you would home a pair once they have been weaned from mother as this is around 8 weeks.

additional suggestion could someone foster mum and kits until after 8 weeks...then you could have help finding new homes for them but would not be burdening a rescue? get mum neutered and dad neutered and bond them together?

Is it the breeding of rabbits, or the actual number of rabbits, which is the breach of tenancy? Has the male been neutered yet? If so, I would get a copy of the invoice and write to the council explaining how you ended up in the current situation and enclosing the invoice to prove that you're not deliberately breeding, and being terribly reasonable about the whole thing. I would then ask for some leaway on timescales of rehoming the rabbits because they are still very young and because of the need to find good responsible homes rather than any old tom, **** or harry blah blah etc. Ask for a written response, and I'd have thought they would back down, at least over how quickly you need to rehome them.

They know that if they take you to court for breach of tenancy, they would have to prove that you are breeding, and if you can produce an invoice for neutering, then they can't prove that! Even if he hasn't been neutered yet, I would still write to them explaining stuff and make them write back. It's harder for them to be heavy handed if they have rational evidence in writing ;)

I'm sure if it came to it, there would be sufficient volunteers here to be a home ready to take them ;)

I second everything Alison has said :D

Send a copy to the officer that came to see you and to his manager.
See if your vet is happy to write a note to them too to explain what has happened.

Yes, Alison, I agree that is a sensible course of action: I have to say, and this is as a council employee myself, that officers can be extremely blinkered and unable to think outside the strict letter of the regulations....hopefully, I am a bit more of a loose cannon!

Always remember, that the council is YOUR servant, not the other way around and I feel that natural justice dictates you should have a fair hearing! I would suggest that you also contact your councillor, again he/she is YOUR servant and you might be able to get your case across to him/her where the officer was just doing his job in a dogmatic way. Fair enough that were you breeding, you might be in breach of your tenancy BUT you have been unlucky and if they cannot listen and accept your plight, give you time to re-home the kits when they are old enough, then God help them! I have to say that if they come down the heavy-hand I would go to the media but let's hope that doesn't happen.....do contact your councillor, he/she should be eager to help to get your vote at the next local election and that is what they are there for.....to help. ;)

Back