• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

free range rabbit

:?Help! Our rescue bunny Zoolander is still refusing to regularly go into his hutch for the night. We have managed to tempt him in with his favourite food on 3 nights. He stayed in quite happily all night and still goes in there to eat during the day. However, he seems to have cottoned on that if he goes in in the evening he will be locked in, so avoids it, refuses to be picked up, and sits nibbling contentedly on grass without a care in the world! Should I try taking all food away from him during the day? He was out all last winter which made me a nervous wreck, though he had access to the hutch, and a small shed full of straw and hay to go into whenever he wanted. I'm so worried about predators, especially with winter approaching, and torn as to what to do for the best for him. Anyone got any ideas for a plan B?

Hello.

Are you able to attach a run to his hutch so that he can come and go as he pleases? Then you wouldn't have to worry and he will be safe. You can always then let him out for a while when you are able to play with him.

Personally I am not a fan of bunnies being free range unless you are with them the whole time they are out as all sorts of things can go wrong. As none of mine are freerangers I don't have the same problem.

I used to put my buns away at night even though their runs are secure and attached to their accommodation but now I don't worry.

You asked "should you take his food away from him during the day" - as far as tempting a bunny back in for the evening with food, a bunny should only be given his dry food as a top up to his hay (hay making up 80-85% of his diet). He shouldn't have access to dry food or veg all day long. If a bunny doesn't eat his dry food (Ideally pellets) when given they should be taken up and the amount fed reduced next time. So this means that in your case, if he has only grass during the day, he will want some pellets in the evening (in theory)

All of my bunnies can't wait for me to do their supper rounds and are always waiting for me. This is how it should be - they should have a routine and be fed a small amount of pellets at a regular time. It's wonderful to watch as they run around doing mini binkies when I approach

If you are unable to keep you bunny in a run, then by only feeding in the evening when you want to put him back then he will certainly come in if he's hungry.

Helen:D

Last edited:
My Sydney sounds like your zoolander. She started to stay at the back of the garden when all the other girls ran in quite happily. Since being on this site and learning a bit more about bunnies, I have started giving the girls their veg in their shed last thing at night. She is still the last to come but she does now sleep safely tucked away with her bunny family.

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice. I shall look into the possibilities of attaching a run to his hutch. I do understand that not everyone is a fan of the free range option. It's a bit of a long story how it came about with him, and I don't know that it would always be my choice for every bunny, but for him, and the circumstances we got him under it seemed to be a good idea to try. He is such a happy, healthy little chap now, but it's a real puzzle working out what to do for the best, and how to give him the best quality of life. It's an ongoing predicament. However, if we can sort a good sized run which he is happy with, perhaps that would work. He had a bit of a rough time before he came to us, but he's a wonderful boy and much loved now. He has actually gone into the hutch this evening and seems quite settled munching away which is brilliant! Once again thanks for your opinions, they are much appreciated.:wave:

Ellie is free range but she does like her home comforts and whole settee to her self :D she is only totally free range bunny we have all the others are in runs lol

So far so good. For the past two nights Zoolander has gone straight into his hutch for his food, and is now happily snuggled up in bed. Fingers crossed that he continues! :shock: Woo Hoo!!! :wave:

going to try this as Charlie has cottoned on that when food arrives I lock him in. He is in a run and safe, but I like him in his hutch, as there are plenty of cats around here.

Back