• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Greetings from a newbie mum to an abandoned bunny!

Arkaidy

Young Bun
Hello! I wanted to formally introduce myself, as I'm new around here!!

My name is Arkaidy, and I am birth mom to June (15 months) and a mum to 4 cool kitties (Edsel, Helga, Chewey, and Professor Long Jeans). We all (including hubby) live in Carolina Beach :)

Well, we have now added a new member quite unexpectedly! Imagine my and my moms surprise to pull up to her house, and find this on her front porch, in a cage, with bags of food, treats, and bedding!! :

JuneJune07wlrlsparents001-1.jpg

I have no idea how old he is or what kind of bunny he is (any speculation is welcome!) but I'm pretty sure he's a he, and seems rather young.

But we have bonded instantly and he fits in great with my fam! Hubby needs a little more persuading, but he'll come around :)

So, yeah, that's us, you'll probably be seeing me around here alot asking questions as I learn more about bunnies!

congrats on your door bunny :)

what a suprise. i would be in
have you thought of a name?
Maybe you should take him to the vet to get his gender found out and see if he has his vaccs and shots and is spayed or nuetered
i cant wait to see more photos of your door bunny :) hes so cute
Enjoy it here !!!

Twitters

Yes, a trip to the vet is in order one of these days, just have to find a bunny vet. I used to work for one, but we only say dogs and cats. I'm pretty positive what i saw/felt were testicles, so I think I'm clear on that, but who knows!

My other immediate thing is his housing as he was left in a very small cage. But I went to 4 stores today and could not find any NIC crates!!!!

I also can't believe someone would just leave a rabbit on a strangers doorstep! How do you know what kind of people live there?

Aww, he's lovely :) Difficult to say on breed he looks like a bit of a mix :) If he has his testicles that puts him over about 12 weeks (3 months) but he still looks like a baby to me so probably under 6 months.

If he's a boy and you plan on keeping him inside you might want to think about neutering - boy rabbits spray the same way unneutered tom cats do!

To find a good rabbit vet your best option is probably to contact your local house rabbit society branch - here's the HQ: http://www.rabbit.org/ there are links to local groups too. They'll be able to tell you about useful local info likes vets and perhaps where to get cages. Plus if you decide later to get him a friend they often are involved in rescue too ;)

Might want to think about a bit of bunny proofing too - give him a few days to settle and he might get a bit nibbly. It's good idea to hide/protect wires before they decide to chew rather than find them in pieces.

You can order NIC cubes online I think otherwise you could try a puppy pen, puppy crate or these cages: http://www.leithpetwerks.com/indexpage.cfm?category=1

welcome, i am new too, i live in south oz, love your bunny, may bulleye would be a good name? hoping you and bunny have many years together of fun and love. and hope you like me make friends here. :wave:

Thanks everyone! I'm learning so much here already! I just finished his new house and so glad to get him out of the tiny crate!

Back