• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Query regarding injections!

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
I'm a bit curious as to whether or not my vet has been administering the vaccinations on my bunnies properly.

I'm pretty sure that when Sapphire had her myxo jab two weeks ago the vet didn't put some in her ear, I'm sure she put it straight in to her neck... and she will have the VHD Monday... and I'm assuming they will do the same.

Do I have cause to be concerned?

xx

My vet did it all in Gregory's neck last week but explained that he was putting 10% under teh skin and 90% in teh skin, or vice versa. There was a thread about this earlier in the week and it seems to be about half and half vets doing it all neck or part ear.

There is a way of doing the 10% seperately without it being in a different place and I'm confident my rabbit savvy Vet does that and is so proficient, I don't even notice.

Doing it 10% into the skin, whether that 10% goes into the ear or is done 'on the way out' of the normal injection site makes the Myxi vaccine a bit more effective. If it isn't done this way it doesn't stop the vaccine working, it still works and many vets don't bother with the 10%.

The VHD vaccine is done entirely under the skin so I wouldn't worry about taking it to the same vet for the VHD.

I don't like dong it in the base of the ear - just because there is less 'free space' within the skin there and if you put the full 10% in the stretch of the skin must be uncomfortable. Plus doing 90% under the skin then remaining 10% into the skin while withdrawing the needle means less needles for the bunny :) It doesn't take much longer than a standard injection so could be that your vet is doing this but smoothly and efficiently!!

I don't like dong it in the base of the ear - just because there is less 'free space' within the skin there and if you put the full 10% in the stretch of the skin must be uncomfortable. Plus doing 90% under the skin then remaining 10% into the skin while withdrawing the needle means less needles for the bunny :) It doesn't take much longer than a standard injection so could be that your vet is doing this but smoothly and efficiently!!

That's how the vet (not my usual one) did 12 myxo's yesterday on some of mine, I asked the same question and she explained it just as you have

Thanks, it's always nice to be reassured:D

Have you heard about the study FHB did whereby she concluded that giving the 10% into the scruff did not give 'universal tissue coverage' but giving it in the earbase did :?

My Vet attended a talk by FHB about 3 years ago where she descibed how she came to the conclusion that the earbase was the best place to administer the intradermal dose :?
I dont know all the scientific facts but FHB used a deceased Bun's body and injected various dyes. All way above my head I am affraid :oops: but my Vet says she was convinced enough by FHBs explanation to only ever give the intradermal dose into the earbase

Not sure if FHB published a paper of her findings :?

that's very interesting Jane, I can't find a paper from any of the standard exotic journals, but it may not have been published as such. Her textbook of Rabbit Medicine doesn't mention this and gives both options but it is a few years old now.
If you can find a reference I'd be really interested to read it. I wonder whether it related to increased difficulty in getting a true intradermal injection in the scruff in comparison to ear base so more chance of decreased protection if not carried out carefully or whether even with correct placement response varies between the sites... And is it reduced below 6 months if this occurs???
If it did reduce the threshold below the 6 month interval then I'm surprised it hasn't been really pushed on the veterinary world to try and improve protection. I'll ask Richard Saunders if he's come across it on Monday, he's a very good source of information :)

All my rabbits are injected at the base of the ear if they will tolerate it. Some of mine do find it too painful so have it in the scruff, but my preference is the ear base.

Louise is this the same vet who messed your injections last time as he gave 2 myxi instead of one myxi and one VHD? If it is I would double check he gives Sapphire vhd this time :)

Just remembered this post - I spoke to Richard and Sharon who are Bristol Uni's rabbit vets and neither had heard of this preference and we couldn't come up with a reason why the site could affect uptake. The only logic we had was that maybe inexperienced vets weren't as good at injecting into the dermal layer in the scruff, whereas in the ear it's very easy to see that it's in the right place...

Thanks for the update, I was only thinking about this again this morning.

It does specify on the leaflet that comes with the drug that it should be in the base of the ear, so i was thinking there must be a good reason for them specifying this, seeings as how it is more distressing for the rabbit to have it done that way :?

Funny what you think about in the shower sometimes:oops:

same. :? I have booked pebble in for her VHD so will ask about it then... when i ask about panacur, and getting her spayed! :lol:

I'm sure you know this already, but just to check, it is only Myxi vacc that needs to go in to the base of the ear not the VHD :)

My vet used to do the bit in the ear as well as scruff, but now it all goes in the scruff but she still does the 10% in the skin though, just scruff instead of ear

Back