• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new Degus

I have had these guys about 2 weeks now and they are completely bonkers!!
Snuggled up in there hammock
Image007-1.jpg

Ringo - The very bold, confident one
Image002-1.jpg

George - The quiet one in the background
Image001-1.jpg

Me too and like you I'm way too young to have been around but wow, what a band. I reckon I might name my future dogs after the fabs.

Awww... they're gorgeous!! I love degus....they have such fantastic little characters and are so great to just sit and watch. I love it when they chatter to themselves and have little 'spats' lol ;) x

:lol: awww! my boyfriend wants to get some but P@H told him they can't be handled :roll:

Well....Losing the plot and myself work for PAH and degus certainly can be handled lol

They are very inquisitive and as soon as the door is opened they'll be on your hand (when comfortable with you). It's just the tail you have to be careful with because it really is rather nasty if they strip it!

Awww... they're gorgeous!! I love degus....they have such fantastic little characters and are so great to just sit and watch. I love it when they chatter to themselves and have little 'spats' lol ;) x

These 2 are total loons I'm telling you! The spats are ace, Ringo is particularly funny, they had a hanging father christmas shaped chew and Ringo took offence to it and killed it in about half an hour, He got so angry with it and was "boxing" with it! He's also got a major obsession with nibbling my ears!!

Well....Losing the plot and myself work for PAH and degus certainly can be handled lol

They are very inquisitive and as soon as the door is opened they'll be on your hand (when comfortable with you). It's just the tail you have to be careful with because it really is rather nasty if they strip it!

Oh they can be handled, they're just not so keen on the staying still. Not a good idea if you want a pet to cuddle!!

:shock:What do you mean by stripping the tail?! :shock:

My friend has 2 and I don't enjoy looking after them when he's away - one tried to jump out last time and knowing tehy were hard to catch if tehy got out I shut the door really quickly, then fed them by tipping the food in through the bars!

:shock:What do you mean by stripping the tail?! :shock:

My friend has 2 and I don't enjoy looking after them when he's away - one tried to jump out last time and knowing tehy were hard to catch if tehy got out I shut the door really quickly, then fed them by tipping the food in through the bars!

Because they are prey animals one of their defences if caught by a bird by the tail for example, they will let the outer skin of the tail come off leaving the tail naked. Gerbils do the same thing.

I love degus :D they're such interesting creatures

I've been researching up on degus because I'd love to own some in the future. But unfortunatley there doesnt seem to be any degus forums that are active :(

By stripping the tail do you mean they lose it and the tail doesn't ever grow back? I read something about that.

Edit: oh, nevermind i just saw the replies above

Because they are prey animals one of their defences if caught by a bird by the tail for example, they will let the outer skin of the tail come off leaving the tail naked. Gerbils do the same thing.

It's not pretty. We had a little guy (Dave Degu) strip his tail and we still don't know how or why. I was doing the checks and saw the blood spatter and then saw his tail....just an exposed bloody white spike.....absolutely horrible!

He had an op to cut and seal his tail and recovered so well, he was back in with his 'chums' after a few days.

Shocked me seeing it for the first time though!

Back