• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccs at this time of year?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
My friend's ex bought their daughter a rabbit, Fifi is 14 weeks. Over the past couple of years my vets have got me to move my rabbits' vaccinations to earlier in the year to about April so that they're well prepared for myxi/VHD time. Fifi has had no vaccs yet, it must be better to give her them now than to wait for spring surely? If she gets them now would it be advisable to take her back in spring and then do them yearly at springtime? I've told my friend to take Fifi to the vet I use who has a special interest in rabbits, but I'd just like to do my research beforehand to reassure her first :)

Myxi is recommended to be done 6 monthly in areas of high risk anyway, so yes, get them all done now and you can repeat the myxi in time for spring :)

I very much remeber about 3 or 4 bunnys on the forum going down with mixi this time last year, up to about october time so I'd say it's a definately a good thing to do it now, then another in March/april and then swap to once a year if they like.

the spring/summer period is higher risk but I think it's definitely worth doing them now, it would be risky for her to be unprotected all that time - there are still flies about after all.

Ive just had all mine vacc'd and will be doing them again in march - I do myxi every 6 months as it becomes less effective towards the end of the year.

September/october and spring time are both the most common times of year to see myxi. I would advise that you get the bunny vaccinated asap for myxi and vhd. The myxi should be repeated in 6 months and vhd in 12 months, regardless of the time of year. If your rabbit is up to date with vaccinations (so myxi every 6 months and vhd every 12), it does not really matter what time of year they are vaccinated, as they will be covered. Your vets would have suggested vaccination in spring as firstly this used to be the most common time of year for myxi and secondly because most vets only used to vaccinate for myxi on a yearly basis (and so by having it done in spring they were safe-guarding the rabbit for the worst times). High risk areas have always been advised to vaccinate 6 monthly, but more recently, the manufacturers of the vaccines have said twice yearly vaccination is required as some rabbits were contracting myxi at 9/10 months post vaccination. Hope this helps!

Yes I hope he will be Ok. I lost a frenchie september before last with myxi and he was only four months into his vaccination. He is eating well so far and I have brought him indoors and giving him his baytril. He has to have a check up at the vets in the morning. Pam

Back