• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Rabbit and a Puppy?

louise1985

Young Bun
Has anyone got any successfull stories of bringing a puppy into a house with two house rabbits, or is that a complete no no?
I can't imagine it being that successfull but I wondered if anyone had any information or experiences?
Myself and my other half would love a puppy but have two house rabbits and I want them to stay as house bunnies!
Thanks

Does anyone have any ideas about this please - anything at all?!
I really need to know if anyone has or / attempted this?!
Thanks!

I have not had personal experiences but I did know someone who ended up with a puppy and a house rabbit. The rabbit was a conti and the puppy was something tiny so the balance was the opposite way, size wise. The bunny died not long after (through unrelated circumstances), so they didn't bond so much.

If you want a dog, could you maybe look to getting a rescue dog who has been used to rabbits or something?

It can work, if the dog is young he will learn to accept the rabbit as part of the family/pack but if he tries to play fight with the rabbit he could seriously injur it.

The main thing to remember is that they must never be left alone together. Any silly little thing could happen and the dog could turn on the rabbit (the same as he could turn on another dog), the rabbit would probably die. Even if you keep the rabbit in a cage I wouldn't leave them in the same room alone. I seem to remember someone on here who's rabbit may have bitten the dog through the cage and the dog tried to break into the cage but luckily didn't make it in before they got home. Might have got the details on that a bit wrong, but I wouldn't risk it.

Does anyone have any ideas about this please - anything at all?!
I really need to know if anyone has or / attempted this?!
Thanks!

Yes i do i do i do!
We had our puppy at our old house whilst Oscar lived in the living room, it was really easy to be fair. Just close supervision at all time! We never left him alone with the rabbits, never would now. Benji just used to watch them and if they binkyed he would try play.

I've got 3 dogs 2 of which (westie and shih tzu) were brought in as puppies after getting the house buns.

Angus (westie) has never paid any attention to them, which is surprising considering outside of the house he behaves like a typical terrier and would chase anything small and furry.

Archie (shih tzu) likes to follow Edgar (English lop) around the house, but I think that has more to do with his liking for rabbit droppings than anything else, he even lies in wait in their litter tray. :lol:

SUC51824.jpg

The rabbit crate is never closed and they have the run of the house along with the dogs, even when I am out.

I think whether it works or not really just depends on the individual puppy, you just need to introduce them slowly keeping the puppy on a lead when the buns are out until you are completely sure that they will be safe, even then don't leave them alone together (my lot are more the exception rather than the rule).

Last edited:
Wow Thistle that is amazing, you are very lucky they all get on so well.
Thanks for all your replies, sounds like it won't be as impossible as I first thought, I will show the replies to my other half and see what he says!

Our buns live in their room but Archie our shih tzu was introduced to them from a very young age, when the buns were bigger than him! and they all love each other. I wouldn't leave unsupervised, but I've seen Archie groom them, and they let him! Our new lab Jake has yet to be introduced, and we'll be using a different approach as he is so much bigger and mouthy. I would research into different breeds and make sure you can securely separate them when they are unsupervised :D

I have with Ludo. We gave the buns their own space and kept him on a lead at first when he was in the same space as them. The leave command is very important to teach the puppy. Ludo is ok with the buns unless they start binkying about and theyn he gets over excited and needs a time out. Our biggest problem was Faline, one of the rabbits attacking him at first.

Thank you for all your replies;

It certainly gives me something to think about, as I did not think so many people would have successfull stories.
As the buns are currently free-range and have the run of the living room, hallways and spare bedroom, would you suggest trying to make seperate spaces for the buns and the puppy at first, to get them used to each other, or would you just keep them in the same space but watch them?
Thanks.

Ha! My Shih Tzu, Spike is just like Thistle's Archie- he follows the rabbits around like a hoover:lol::lol:.
He came here at 5 months old and is fantastic with the rabbits, along with my other two dogs.

I think it will obviously depend on the dog and close supervision is the key.
I'd initially keep them in one area where you can control the situation easier and there is less opportunity for them to run and get over excited.
Give the rabbits several safe bolt holes to get away from the dog as I find this brings their stress levels down, just knowing that they can flee easily, and take it slowly.

I've had six dogs from GSDX, LabX, Yorkie, Cavvy, Shih Tzu and Poodle X and every one of them have been fantastic with the rabbits even though none of them were initially bought up with rabbits.

you mihgt be best getting a rescue dog who has been around buns or a rescue puppy who you can easily train..a calm personality i would imagine would help and its probly easier to try it with a dog that isnt known for its rabbit hunting skills... tho im sure there are exceptions.

Back