• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do most rabbits chew?

William

Wise Old Thumper
i know rabbits must chew to wear down their teeth but i mean do most house rabbits that people have here chew up things in the house like furniture, material items, etc?

because my rabbits Izzy and Raven free range my room and never chew up things (i hope i'm not jinxing myself :lol: ) and I wanted to know for my future bunnies if they might chew my things.. I hope not.

Yep, all my wallpaper starts halfway up the walls now :lol:

Just praying they never discover what the piano's made of :shock:

Gregory has chewed all sorts - my GHD wire, my laptop wire (had to replace twice!), walls, my friend's skirting boards when he stayed there, the literacy book that was at the top of my pile of marking......

The one benefit of him now having dental probs is that he no longer chews things he shouldn't (or at least, I think it's his teeth, rather than him just growing out of it?)

Oh yes I think most of them do :roll: Boris just had another go on my wallpaper,luckily the white one,not the red one as I thought :shock:

Yes i think that most rabbits do chew things but im pretty sure if you provide other things then your furniture and cords etc to chew for them then you might be good :)

I have been very lucky with mine. max has always been a house rabbit and Daisy has only been a house rabbit for a few months and neither of them chew anything :D They have a pine dvd shelf down their end and that is all still intact, my skirting boards are untouched and my wallpaper intact :D:D They are very good bunnys :love:

I have 2 out of 3 chewers, well there partial to wallpaper :lol:

Oliver is pretty good and hasnt chewed anything (yet, prob inxed myself now lol)

My two go through phases - it started with fabric (the sofa & curtains), then electric cables, and their latest project is the plaster on the walls.

Speaking of which - does anyone know of a decent chew deterrent? I just bought one called "Chew Stoppa", says its especially suitable for rabbits etc, and it seems to have no effect. It tastes disgusting as in the end I tried it to make sure it wasnt just water :oops:

I'm lucky with Sugar, she is always free in the house and she doesn't chew. Just got George and don't know yet. Will keep an eye on him!

wall paper, carpets, plaster, furniture, cables (especially mobile phones), rubber door stops, brooms, sweepers, curtains, remote controls, important bills, lino, I've even seen them trying to eat brick :shock::shock:

thankfully they don't seem to keen on handbags or shoes, but give them time.

ps...mine are given cardboard and branches etc to chew.....it just seems to encourage them to see what else is fun to chew.

My rabbits chew like beavers!! Between 6 of them they have wrecked 3 hutches, an expensive fishing bag, one of my pony's rugs, doors, skirting boards, sofa's, cushions, clothes!! Willow toys last minutes, wooden toys last a few days, cardboard lasts about a day! They are a nightmare!!

Wow :shock:

I'm glad my guys aren't chewers but if my future ones are I don't know what I'll do! I have a long thick cord, straw wastepaper baskets, wooden desks, things laying around.. and none of them get chewed. I even put a jacket in there cardboard box so they can lay on it.

But one thing i dont trust 'em around is my laptop's cord.

wall paper, carpets, plaster, furniture, cables (especially mobile phones), rubber door stops, brooms, sweepers, curtains, remote controls, important bills, lino, I've even seen them trying to eat brick :shock::shock:

thankfully they don't seem to keen on handbags or shoes, but give them time.

ps...mine are given cardboard and branches etc to chew.....it just seems to encourage them to see what else is fun to chew.

I agree:lol::lol::lol:, Poppy has gone through the wii wire again today:roll: even though ive really made it hard for her...obviously she thinks ive made her an assault course:lol::lol::lol:

My bunny doesnt really chew, but he likes to tear and eat the paper under his toilet (a box filled with hay)
I have a few wires with some damage but since I removed all wires she hasn't chewed much else.

I've been quite lucky (in the sense of them never touching the skirting boards, kitchen cupboards, table legs etc), but some of my doors have gnaw marks on now, and I've lost a few cables. I've also got a wrecked part of the carpet, where Clover started ripping out the fibres one day (nice of her to leave me a legacy! :roll::lol:)

Back