• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi- advice needed U/D she has gone to the bridge

honeybuns

Young Bun
One of our buns suddenly became very poorly yesterday, gunky swollen eyes, snuffly breathing and generally lethargic. I rang vets and spoke to a nurse and she was very dismissive- "its probably myxi you, no point bringing her in now nothing we can do. Wait till morning you'd only incur a call out fee anyway(!)"

I brought her in doors and made her a safe place with a dog crate. Oh she was so ill it was horrid really bad, she sat on my lap having cuddle breathing really snuffly my husband and me just sat there and cried. We decided we wouldn't wait till morning we couldn't stand it. So we called vets out, when she was in carrier she actually screamed it was the worse sound ever I shall never forget it :cry:

The vet was lovely we agreed it was best to let her go to the bridge as she was clearly in pain. Saying goodbye was just horrid. My daughter drew a picture of her and our other bun to be buried with.

We took in our other bunny this morning and saw a vet she wasn't very positive basically she said she is showing no signs but we can only sit and wait. I have her in the living room and am sleeping down there so can check her.

I just wondered if there is anything we can do to help?? Or what the incubation period could be? I really don't want to loose her too. She is about 6 months old, I hadn't managed to do the vacs yet as I had my daughter in hospital and everything in that time, I naively thought they would be safe in our garden. I feel so guilty I don't think we will ever forgive ourselves for being so stupid. I just want my bunny back and I wish she never suffered. I just hope people who haven't vac'd for any reason will read this and realise how important is :cry:

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear about your bunny. :cry: I went to the vets today about myxy because mine might have it to and he told me that apparently the incubation period is 2 -8 days. I've just learnt that the important things to do is to keep them warm and keep them eating and drinking plenty. I was also told to soak her hay in water for half an hour but i don't know if that is because my bunny is sneezing. Hope all goes well.

My bunny bernard was with her two sisters, two brothers and mum when she got myxi. None of them caught it. When my poppy caught myxi she was living in a hutch next to my bun stan and he never caught it.

So far i've had three myxi buns, two survived a week and never passed myxi on. I wouldnt worry yourself too much. I am so sorry for your loss, losing Lily to myxi was the worst experience in my life :cry:

Good luck to your bun xx

Vet said if my bunny makes it to next week the its worth doing her vacs but not yet she said it could make it worse?

She is a bit quiet on eating and drinking front but I wonder if its because she wonders where Hels has gone?

its very 50/50 bcus if she has it, but giving her the vaccine it could make it blow up worse. the fact she is inside will help, indoor bunnies do still get myxi but she is 'less' risk inside.

My rabbit Jelly was booked to have her boosters last year, but she had a accidental pregnany so it couldnt be done, when her babies were 4 weeks old, one baby out of five got myxi.

All four babies and mum survived. except the one who had it.

when i was a child, and nobody really vacc'd bunnies we had two 'Miffy and Biffy' miffy got myxi, biffy didnt.

so there is every chance your bun will be okay.

sending lots of vibes for your bunny, and i just want to say not many people would call a vet out when they knew their bun couldnt get better. you did the right thing and im glad, you stopped her suffering

xxxxxx

Keep her warm and indoors. Make sure the area she lives in is totally clean so that she doesn't have to deal with any other germs. Keep her away from other pets or strangers. Try not to let her get scared.

Fingers crossed for you and little bun

Hi am keeping her separate my cats are not amused at being kicked out of the living room!! Out of the two she is very shy so its harder to tell with her being so quiet. I just have everything crossed.

Hi am keeping her separate my cats are not amused at being kicked out of the living room!! Out of the two she is very shy so its harder to tell with her being so quiet. I just have everything crossed.

if the rabbit ahs already ahd a vacination in the past tehre is every chance the bun will survive myxi i have had one who has.she was very poorly at times too. i would try and get remaining bun on baytril as a precautionary against it as this is treatment that will be needed to make better. i would ensure that bun is warm and has plenty of fluids availabe and keeps eating. good luck to all the buns who recently seem to have gone down with it..chelsea survived at age 9years and is still going strong so they can fight it xxx

So far so good. She seems to be okay so far turns out that because I usually put her food down later she wouldn't eat it till that time!! She certainly was full of energy last night!!

I cleaned the crate out this morning, my princess was being a little Madam digging it straight back up and ripping it up:lol:. She is currently munching on hay at the moment. She is definitely coming out of herself so think this stint in doors is doing her the world of good :).

I am just hoping she will be okay.

She is a Flemish by the way in case anyone wondered.

My girlie at the bridge was a French lop.

oh, so sorry about your bun. I hope your other one will be ok. As the disease is spread by biting insects she may be ok.

house bun

Thinking I want her indoors after this gave a spare room she can have as her problem is it has a pc in it how do I protect both her and the wires from chewage?

Thinking I want her indoors after this gave a spare room she can have as her problem is it has a pc in it how do I protect both her and the wires from chewage?

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your bunny :cry: praying your other bun will be fine. She will still need Myxo vacc if inside. Ref the wires you have several options, ones i use are - secure them all in trunking and for when i've used my study - I put up a dog crate and bulid a run with play pen panels - good luck x

Bam is still with us, been given eye drops and some other bits encase she wont eat or drink. She is eating and drinking at the moment.

She is worse today but in the same way she is very active still eyes are definitely worse. How do you know when its time? I don't want her to think I have just given up on her but I don't when its right to let her go. Waiting for the vets to ring me. It's so hard I don't want to loose her, she is running round active but I don't know!!

I guess part of me hopes we can get her through it but maybe that's just me being selfish?? I don't know. I guess see what the vet says and my head says.

I'm adding some pics of her as thought it might help for other people to see how develops or something I dunno thought it would be helpful though. The vet said yesterday she didn't like to say for sure it was myxi but today I can see it definitely is... She has came down so much slower then Hels.

This is her eye yesterday its hard to see but they aren't as open as usually and a bit sore.

bambibegin.jpg

and this is this morning when I did her drops

bambiseye.jpg

bambibaby.jpg

bambipoorly.jpg

excuse my pic editing on the last one living room is a mess hay everywhere so edited it.

It's going to be very hard if you're going to try and nurse her through Myxi....I speak from experience :(

Good luck & she's beautiful :love:

Back