• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns on a Mission!! Advice Needed!

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya All :wave:

Ronnie and Reggie have settled in REALLY well!! As i said to you all in the previous post they have full run of the bungalow. This has now been restricted to the lounge!! They are destroying all my things :cry: They have started to nibble my sofa! (this cost us over £3000 when we moved in last year! which we could never afford to replace :() :roll: ive had to tie my curtains up as they started chewing the bottoms of these. They are also Pooing everywhere!!! My carpet is going need replacing at this rate. And the house stinks :roll: :Shock:

I had lottie as a house bun for over a year and she never did any of this. How do you train them to stop this?? Is there anything i can do before its too late?? :( :roll: How can i correct them?? I cant restrict them as that would be cruel. They shed will be done when the rain holds off (Prays for at least 1 dry day next week!!)

Any advice? :( :( (Pulls hair out) :(

Last edited:
Hello, you could try getting a large dog crate and restricting the time they are out. This should work with litter training and hopefully with the destruction but not so confident on that one! They are marking their territory by weeing and pooing everywhere so if you make sure they see the dog crate as their territory then that should help. When I first got Mo he we'd and poo'ed everywhere. I made him a pen and restricted his run time particularly making sure he slept in there and now he is perfect and is free range again although he does still have the pen up.

Have they got lots of toys? digging box? wooden things to chew on? tunnels? egg boxes? This can all help as they are obviously very playful.

It is also worth remembering that some rabbits are just better suited to outdoor life, your buns are just behaving naturally so its up to us as hoomans to make sure they can behave naturally but with their own toys. I really think creating their own area at least for a while will help.

However with Barney and Roxy I did have to accept defeat in certain areas as much as I tried. I had to bin the large white rug I'd brought as Roxy decided it looked better with wee on it! :shock: as much as I cleaned she's just go and wee on it again :roll:. And the wallpaper! That is now striped off to waist height and painted. Sometimes you just have to realise they own you. :D

Hello, you could try getting a large dog crate and restricting the time they are out. This should work with litter training and hopefully with the destruction but not so confident on that one! They are marking their territory by weeing and pooing everywhere so if you make sure they see the dog crate as their territory then that should help. When I first got Mo he we'd and poo'ed everywhere. I made him a pen and restricted his run time particularly making sure he slept in there and now he is perfect and is free range again although he does still have the pen up.

Have they got lots of toys? digging box? wooden things to chew on? tunnels? egg boxes? This can all help as they are obviously very playful.

It is also worth remembering that some rabbits are just better suited to outdoor life, your buns are just behaving naturally so its up to us as hoomans to make sure they can behave naturally but with their own toys. I really think creating their own area at least for a while will help.

However with Barney and Roxy I did have to accept defeat in certain areas as much as I tried. I had to bin the large white rug I'd brought as Roxy decided it looked better with wee on it! :shock: as much as I cleaned she's just go and wee on it again :roll:. And the wallpaper! That is now striped off to waist height and painted. Sometimes you just have to realise they own you. :D

I think this is the case :D They are so big, would a dog crate be big enough? :roll: i would be willing to buy one if it was :) Have just put a bowl of food down for the dog and they were straight over to it :shock: The dog is even getting over run :(

I think the problem is im so house proud :oops: :( I hate anything out of place and if theres the slightest bit of mess i tidy, i cant keep on top of these, theyre ruining everything :evil: Theyre digging the carpet :roll:

How big are they? 48" dog crates are a decent size. Barney from my pair who were in a dog crate is quite a big dwarf lop and he was fine in a dog crate. I put a shelf in (if you search on here for shelves you'll see loads) and this gives them more space. It sounds like they do need this boundary to me. When I first got Barney he had a few digging attempts I used to clap and say no firmly...now if I use that tone of voice if he's being naughty he stops imidiately...he's very clever though, Roxy just carries on regardless :roll:. A digging box could well help as this is fun for them to do. Must say though that rabbits aren't the best choice of pet for a house proud person :lol: some rabbits cope really well, Mo for example is a dream, doesn't chew and really well litter trained.

I'd consider a dog crate if you can. You couldn't keep them shut in for long periods and bear in mind when they are most active, early morning and late evening. You could add a pen onto the dog crate if you have room to give them more space but make sure they can't jump out.

It may feel cruel to shut them up but if they are eating things they shouldn't then that is just as bad for them. Mo got much more confident when he knew where was his territory so it can be beneficial to them and to you! :D

If you do get a dog crate look on ebay as in the shops a decent size one is over £100 but on there you can get them for half that. Good luck!

p.s do they have many toys around because they do need a lot of stimulation. Mine seem to spend all day munching on hay though so don't seem to be too bothered about toys :roll: Mo does need them as he refuses hay :?

How big are they? 48" dog crates are a decent size. Barney from my pair who were in a dog crate is quite a big dwarf lop and he was fine in a dog crate. I put a shelf in (if you search on here for shelves you'll see loads) and this gives them more space. It sounds like they do need this boundary to me. When I first got Barney he had a few digging attempts I used to clap and say no firmly...now if I use that tone of voice if he's being naughty he stops imidiately...he's very clever though, Roxy just carries on regardless :roll:. A digging box could well help as this is fun for them to do. Must say though that rabbits aren't the best choice of pet for a house proud person :lol: some rabbits cope really well, Mo for example is a dream, doesn't chew and really well litter trained.

I'd consider a dog crate if you can. You couldn't keep them shut in for long periods and bear in mind when they are most active, early morning and late evening. You could add a pen onto the dog crate if you have room to give them more space but make sure they can't jump out.

It may feel cruel to shut them up but if they are eating things they shouldn't then that is just as bad for them. Mo got much more confident when he knew where was his territory so it can be beneficial to them and to you! :D

If you do get a dog crate look on ebay as in the shops a decent size one is over £100 but on there you can get them for half that. Good luck!

p.s do they have many toys around because they do need a lot of stimulation. Mine seem to spend all day munching on hay though so don't seem to be too bothered about toys :roll: Mo does need them as he refuses hay :?

Theyre conti giants :roll: We are going to the mother in laws tomorrow so my mum is going to be bunny sitting at mine, they cant be trusted alone :shock: Dad is going to start on the shed tomorrow if the weather holds off (crosses fingers) so hopefully they'll be in the shed sometime next week. They do have lotsa toys, they play with them too! Theyre just so full of energy as theyre only babies really (19 wks)

I have to been clapping and saying no in a low voice :) They dont really listen though :? Im so house proud, hubby says i should leave them to it but theyre so naughty :evil: I hate my things getting ruined :oops: Anyway, fingers crossed for tomorrow :) Lotsa sun i hope! Shall let you know how we get on :D

Back