• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Polo and Oscar have myxi :'( - U/D 29rd - GREAT NEWS - ALL CLEAR Day 49 & Day 35

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I noticed yesterday when doing daily bum checks that Polo's genitals were a little red and larger than usual.

Today however, they were even more swollen. Polo and Opal were booked in fo their myxi vaccination tonight, and i asked the vet to take a look at Polo's underneath. He said that she may have a milder form of myxi and as a result is displaying that symptom. Apart from that, she has no other symptoms, her eyes are fine, i did think her eyelids were a shade redder than they usually were a couple of nights ago but i didnt suspect anything wrong.

She is eating and drinking and binkying around like normal. She has no lumps or bumps, just swollen genitals.

I am of course very concerned about her. None of my other bunnies are displaying any symptoms. Her 6 month booster vaccination was due next week, but she had it tonight. Hopefully that will kick start the immunity and help her fight it off.

We aren't a 100% that it is myxi and im not sure what to do. I've been given metacam if her symptoms get worse over the weekend. I think he gave me that just because i was so worried. He said if she does begin to get other symptoms of myxi then we would take it from there.

Ive added some photos of her underneath - sorry Polo

STA73583.jpg

STA73584.jpg

STA73585.jpg

I should have made it clear that she is vaccinated and is vaccinated every 6 months.

Last edited:
I've got everthing crossed that it isn't! I would hope that as she is vaccinated she will be able to fight it off.

Oh dear........... :? :cry:

I so hope it isnt Myxi. Must say I am a bit :shock: that the Vet gave the Vaccination.......... :?

Did the Vet not suggest antibiotics aswell as anti-inflammatories :?
Did the Vet take Polo's temperature ?

Sending Billions of vibes for her

hi there. when chelsea went down with myxi we were poo pood by the vet(not our normal rabbit savvy may i add) as an eye infection. tho combined with her nodule on nose i felt it was myxi. if it is the milder form nodular myxi just beggining then she will likely develop more signs as it progresses.... you need to get her onto baytril asap to have the ebst chance of survival am surprised the vaccs was administered as would have thought would lower the imunity if she already has it? as it can still be fatal in buns who have had the vaccs tho a good chance of survival is high..soon as we went for second opinon with jason our vet he confirmed myxi and she went onto metacam for pain fucithalmic for eyes and baytril to fight off the myxi bit oh an biolapis to combat the antibiotic. i hope this helps and i hope that it isnt myxi. could it be a rabbit std?(iv heard they can geet them tho never seen it myself) sudocreme or vasaline is supposedly soothing on sore genitals but i foun d chelsea had a poor reaction to the sudo creme and it seemed to sting her. ps chelsea survived and many others do too and chelsea got it last year when she was 9yrs old. :) good luck keep us posted xx

Oh great :cry: It wasnt my usual vet you see, i choose him as he gives the vaccinations the way i like them to be given (10% base of the ear... the rest in the scruff). I did think... whats the point in giving her the vaccination if she already has the live virus... doesnt that mean double the amount of viruses to fight off.

Depending how things go over the weekend.... if Polo is ok and doesnt require an emergency appointment then i will try and get her in with my usual rabbit savvy vet Monday.

I am so upset, you put your animals lives in the hands of these so called professionals, who study for 5 years and they make ****-ups like that.

If only i had seen my usual vet :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am worried out of my mind.

hey dont panic whats done is done now. but be thankful it is a cross virus not the same virus that the injection is made from so it wont be double myxi vaccs in her so you will be ok she still has a good chance. see if you can get some baytril for her and keep her warm... keep her eating and being happy chances are its not myxi anyhow but if it is you are prepared :) as i sasid chelsea fought it off age 9 and many others have done too so im sure polo will manage to fight it should that be what it is xxx vibes and hugz xxx

Oh dear........... :? :cry:

I so hope it isnt Myxi. Must say I am a bit :shock: that the Vet gave the Vaccination.......... :?

Did the Vet not suggest antibiotics aswell as anti-inflammatories :?
Did the Vet take Polo's temperature ?

Sending Billions of vibes for her

No he didnt suggest antibiotics, or anti-inflammatories. I asked for the metacam. I wished i had seen my usual vet, but as I said, today she was only in for vaccinations, i only noticed the signs today.

And no surprise surprise he didnt take her temperature.

What should I do? Should i try and get her an appointment elsewhere tomorrow, as my usual vet is closed or should i wait until Monday. Im not even 100% sure its myxi...

:(:(:(:(:(

I think you should think about seeing another vet asap, if it is myxi things can happen very quickly. I've lost three buns to myxi and if it was me i'd definately get the bun checked again. Good luck, hope its not myxi.

All of her vaccinations have been given correctly, 10% in the base of the ear and the rest in the scruff... is there anything else this could be?

Back