• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

faline

faline

Young Bun
hello,
was just wondering whether anyone could help me? faline is 4 years old, she went out side for a bit of a run, was cleaned out and she is hardly moving, quiet and not eating. she doesn't seem distressed just quiet and not eating.
she ate nothing outside, but since being outside has been quiet. any ideas? i know it's not much to go on but thought i'd ask as hubby is worried and all vets are closed.
faline's teeth look alright, gums normal colour, tummy okay poops normal. she is not desexed, and ate this morning around 1.00am.
have some oxbow critical care for guinea pigs so have syringe fed her some of this.
any help would be appreciated. hubby and faine are really close, we got her when bambi had to sleep forever and faline helped him through it. thanks for reading this.

Last edited:
If she's not eating and not pooing it could be gut stasis, I'd find an emergency rabbit vet and get her an appointment as she will need painkillers and gut stimulants if that's the case.

i have rang 2 emergency vets and a vet in the suburb i live in. none of whom know anything about rabbits. the vet up here wanted $150.00 call out fee(about 70 pounds) the emergency ones wanted $90.00. vets here in south australia make me scream, some vets only know about dogs, cats, horses etc some don't even know about them, one vet cost us 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 2 cats and 2 dogs, yes i know i should have changed vets earlier but vets here where i live are far and wide between.
so have bitten the bullet and treated her like a human baby and given her preboiled water boiled water cooled down) via syringe and massaged her tummy. after 45 minutes of gentle massage she perked up, and passed poops and has started to eat. hubby and i are going to take it in turns to watch her over night and will take her to our vet in the morning. will keep you posted and thank you foxy faerie for your reply. :wave:

i have rang 2 emergency vets and a vet in the suburb i live in. none of whom know anything about rabbits. the vet up here wanted $150.00 call out fee(about 70 pounds) the emergency ones wanted $90.00. vets here in south australia make me scream, some vets only know about dogs, cats, horses etc some don't even know about them, one vet cost us 3 guinea pigs, 2 rabbits, 2 cats and 2 dogs, yes i know i should have changed vets earlier but vets here where i live are far and wide between.
so have bitten the bullet and treated her like a human baby and given her preboiled water boiled water cooled down) via syringe and massaged her tummy. after 45 minutes of gentle massage she perked up, and passed poops and has started to eat. hubby and i are going to take it in turns to watch her over night and will take her to our vet in the morning. will keep you posted and thank you foxy faerie for your reply. :wave:

Glad to hear she's doing a bit better!

took faline to vet, so waste a time, she was checked over, all normal but still not eating 100% normal. so am keeping up the preboiled water and tummy rubs. she is pooping normally. will keep you posted.

Last edited:
olivia could find nothing wrong whilst faline is eating and pooping now if you knew her you'd know she was not 100%. she is NOT drinking or very little water.
before faline we had bambi and thumper and we fed the boys the same as the guinea pigs, have since learnt that guinea pigs need vitamin C BUT rabbits need vitamin D-which i thought came from the sun. would be feeding faline vitamin C stuff like cavy cuisine be the cause of the damage?
also have learnt undesexing female bunny is more likely to get cancer.
about 2 years ago she had problems with spurs on her teeth/between teeth we syringe fed for about 4 weeks and spurs went away.
we had bambi for 5.4 years spetember 2004 and thumper 7.3 years august 2006 but faline is the first doe we have had.
we are keeping up the pre boiled water and the tummy massages which seem to help. like i said the boys were happy and healthy on guinea pig food-pellets, vitamin C, veggies, grass etc.
or would it be this unusal warm wave we have as it did get to the high 20's quickily, i know i have a nasty bug.
will keep you posted on faline but for now she is eating, pooping and appears normal but she is not 100%.
lastly have jessie and zoe on fleece blankets and dry bed would it be worth putting faline on this bedding too? or being a bunny would she chew it?
think i like bucks better as they appear more hardy and easier to care for. thanks again, any help appreciated. maybe faline is like her mum and been affected by this weather, we had 15C(62F) yesterday and today it was 25C (78F) tomorrow showers and 16C i know i have had this bug for 3 weeks now. myxamatosis i don't think we have a vaccination for, i know we get faline and use to get the boys the calici-virus vaccination every 12 months. thanks again. :wave:

Glad to hear she is perking up.

How much hay does she get? That really is the biggest part of their diet. Would you be able to switch to a rabbit pellet if you're worried?

I have a Faline too. ;)

Glad to hear she is perking up.
How much hay does she get? That really is the biggest part of their diet. Would you be able to switch to a rabbit pellet if you're worried?
I have a Faline too. ;)

she has bedding as hay and hay in her hay rack too it is oaten hay (oat hay in UK and USA) also timothy hay is cut with scissors and put in a bowl with the cavy cuisine. i can get oxbow rabbit pellets monday if this is important.
before faline we had a bambi and thumper as we both loved the movie bambi, when bambi had to be allowed to sleep forever in september 2004 i got a ginger lop eared bunny who OH and bunny fell in love with each other :love: keeping with the bambi the movie theme we named the new bunny faline-bambi's girl friend in the movie.
keeping close eye on her, hugs to you and your faline too.:love:

Hi, sorry to hear about your bunny. Vitamin C will not be a problem as excess vit c is excreted in the urine, so don't worry about that. It may well be her teeth making her a little sore and if this is the case, the vet will need to file them and give pain relief (very important for bunnies!). Have you seen any blood in her urine? Rabbit wee can be a red colour and normal but as she is not spayed (ovariohysterectomy) then i would suggest you take a urine sample to your vet and get them to check it for blood as this is uually the first sign of uterine cancer. Does you bunny use a litter tray? If so collection of a urine sample is easy - don't put any litter in the tray or over here in the uk we have these little plastic beads to put in the litter trays and as they are plastic they dont soak up the urine. The sample needs to be fresh (less than a couple of hours old). Keep syringing oxbow critical care and lots of water. Rabbits need loads of water (100mls/kg/day) so you can work out what she needs depending on her bodyweight and syringe as much as possible. Try offering her water in a bowl instead of a bottle cos if she is in pain in her mouth, a bowl would be easier. Offer her favourite soft food. Can you get a drug over there called semeticone? Over here its sold as Infacol. Its a colic suspension you give to babies to help break down gas in the stomach and intestines to help relieve bloat. If you have it, give her 1ml to start with, if no change an hour or so later, give another 1/2 - 1ml. It will cause her no harm.
Best of luck, keep her eating and drinking, even if you have to help her along with it.

hello, I can't offer anymore advice than you have been given but I hope she perks up. And my boys are worse than my girl :D

can you get a drug over there called semeticone? Over here its sold as Infacol
as far as i know no but then i have never gone shopping for it. i have guinea pigs and use gripe water so am unsure as whether this would help.
now since my last post she is eating, drinking, pooping, widdling, running around, you would think she was normal, but to me there is still something wrong instead of 100% i would say she is 85% right. maybe she does have spurs i don't know. will keep you posted and thanks again for all the help, advice and replies. :wave: and the late boys bambi and thumper had no problems at all though bambi had a lot of lump problems otherwise they were healthy blighters.:love: guess like people it depends on the bunny.

can you get a drug over there called semeticone? Over here its sold as Infacol
as far as i know no but then i have never gone shopping for it. i have guinea pigs and use gripe water so am unsure as whether this would help.
now since my last post she is eating, drinking, pooping, widdling, running around, you would think she was normal, but to me there is still something wrong instead of 100% i would say she is 85% right. maybe she does have spurs i don't know. will keep you posted and thanks again for all the help, advice and replies. :wave: and the late boys bambi and thumper had no problems at all though bambi had a lot of lump problems otherwise they were healthy blighters.:love: guess like people it depends on the bunny.

Simethicone is a liquid given to babies who have gas or who have trouble being burped after being fed :wave:

this is what we use gripe water for for the piggies, the cemist is getting me some in. have found out the myxi (sp) vaccination is not available here in south oz only the calici virus vaccination.
faline is eating, drinking, pooping etc but just not mormal speed, out of 100% would say she is 85-90% normal. will keep you posted. and thanks to all whp have posted and for your advice and help. :wave:

Back