• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

recent bonding

slimjim

New Kit
I recently bought another mate for my bunny Flopsy as her previous friend thumper died after only two weeks. Her new friend Snuffles seems to have settled in quite well and they seem to get on with each other when we are around.
The only thing is that Flopsy has a tuft of fur hanging out near her front leg which we noticed this morning and the tuft seems to have a hard stick like 'core' that feels like it goes either close to the skin or into the skin. I cant get a close enough look at it to tell either way but that is how it feels. She doesnt seem to be in any general pain nor does she flinch when i touch the tuft 'core' and follow it to the skin.
I'm not sure if Flopsy and Snuffles had a bit of a scuffle in the night or if it could be a natural malt.
I am a bit worried about any problems recently since we lost Thumper, is this anything to worry about?

I'm assuming both buns are same sex?

If they are they could be hormonal & may need spaying. Unspayed buns can often fight.

If they are opposite sex I would separate now & prepare for babies.

As for the sore - could it be a scab? There might have been a fight, or bun might have got it trapped in something. If it's tiny scab I would probably scratch it off & clean with warm salty water, & keep an eye that there is no pus (it's white on rabbits) or swelling. If there's either of the above I would take to vets as bun may need antibiotics - especially with where injury is.

Sorry to hear about losing Thumper. I'd keep a close eye on your other buns for any behavioural changes - not pooing/off food/quiet etc. Buns hide illness & pain very well & if you don't know why Thumper died it could've been anything

I'm assuming both buns are same sex?

If they are they could be hormonal & may need spaying. Unspayed buns can often fight.

If they are opposite sex I would separate now & prepare for babies.

As for the sore - could it be a scab? There might have been a fight, or bun might have got it trapped in something. If it's tiny scab I would probably scratch it off & clean with warm salty water, & keep an eye that there is no pus (it's white on rabbits) or swelling. If there's either of the above I would take to vets as bun may need antibiotics - especially with where injury is.

Sorry to hear about losing Thumper. I'd keep a close eye on your other buns for any behavioural changes - not pooing/off food/quiet etc. Buns hide illness & pain very well & if you don't know why Thumper died it could've been anything

Thanks for that.

We think Thumper died from VHD so both the buns we have are now vaccinated for this.

Both Flopsy and Snuffles are female and as yet are too young to be spayed i think. I think the vet said it is to be done at 6 months and Flopsy is approx 15 wks and Snuffles approx 12 wks old.

Thanks for that.

We think Thumper died from VHD so both the buns we have are now vaccinated for this.

Both Flopsy and Snuffles are female and as yet are too young to be spayed i think. I think the vet said it is to be done at 6 months and Flopsy is approx 15 wks and Snuffles approx 12 wks old.

Aww, poor Thumper.
My vet will spay at 16 weeks, but some people do prefer to wait til 6 months. You might struggle to keep them together until after they have been spayed. Hormones tend to start from 12 weeks up & just get worse:lol: I have kept unspayed buns together before, & they weren't "close", but no scrapping - although they have a lot of permanent space. They were snuggly after neuter though:D

Ive got Flopsy booked in at the vets this evening, she hasnt been out in the run all day which isnt like her. I might just be paranoid but even if it is just to clear my mind lol. When i'm at the vets ill build a room for myself cos i seem to be there more than at home recently lol.

Flopsy had a small wound that had scabbed over and matted the 'core' of the fur.
We have had to seperate Flopsy and Snuffles because Snuffles is being a bully. She is also starting to bite us and seems to be uncontrolable at the mo.
Im not really sure which avenue to take at the moment. Im thinking of keeping them separated until my vet will spay them and then try to re-introduce them gradually.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any other solutions to try?
Snuffles seems to be a bit down when we seperate them but at the moment its not really fair on Flopsy to keep being bullied.
Ive also got to stop her biting because of the children and its not fair to keep her caged all the time.

Back