• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me decide

Should I leave the buns insured?

• Total voters
reason i said no is ihtink you would be better putting that £90 pounds into a savings account each month and not touch it then once reached around 700 or 800 so 7/8 months you will have a ready vet fund if you need to use it just start ading to it again x

I said no too. I agree with bunlover about putting the money away instead. I wouldn't stop when it got to a certain amount though, I would just keep on putting that £93 away every single month.

If you haven't needed any of the cash in, say 18 mths, you could take £500 or so out of it to spend on other stuff for the buns - new accomodation or something.

Last edited:
Yes this is true, one thing I have noticed is vet bills seems to have gone up a lot and they main question now is, are they insured, it kind of says it's just going to get worse.

Don't get me wrong, I have cash it's not like I struggle to pay my vet bills it's just a shock.

With 12 bunnies and £93, I would go for putting the money away as it soon adds up.

I've never had insurance for the reason that I know I would find the money if I needed to but have been giving it more consideration recently :?

i would put money away bcus, if you are paying £90 a month for insurance.... youw ould then have £50 excess.

so... for arguments sake, lets sau Beatrix gets ill... it would have to cost at least £150 to make it worth it, that month.

i think you should put the insurance money, away for emergencies. If there was no excess, then maybe, but the fact its another £50 just makes it even more not worth it.

My vets have a V.I.P payment plan, and its really good, im going to start doing it, you put money in every week or month, and its savings FOR vet treatments, so you effectively but 'credit'.

i would deffinatly opt the savers account option,
pros: no excess fees
there straight away
you earn interest, and a bit more if you do not touch the account for a few months too,
no stupid phone call trying to hurry them up
no increased premiums if youve had to use it a lot
and no 3 months wait before you can use it

Yep I am coming around to that way of thinking. I am now on the phone to the bank and see if I can set up another account.

Yup - in agreemend with everyone else - I put money aside for my lot each month and I have found so far that any vets bills for mine have not been much over the £50 excess anyway, like you said it's the rescues that cost the money.

I voted to cancel the payments, but this is as long as you are disciplined enough to put the money aside.

I have all my own rabbits insured and did you tell petplan that you are a rescue as you get a shelter discount for your own rabbits also;)

I don't have mine insured. Fortunately my vets are fairly cheap, and even more fortunately my bunnies are rarely in need of them.
Even Bobby's abcess has only cost around £100 so far to treat, and at the moment it's fine and he doesn't need treatment at all.
It is a major factor in me getting more buns though. If all 5 of them needed vet treatment at once, I could just about afford it. Any more and I wouldn't be able to.

Back