• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why do rabbits do this?

MellyRabiit

Alpha Buck
I know that rabbits need to eat there own runny poops. (cecils)sp

But I just wanted to know why? I stopped my buns at first until I found out they need to eat them..

As lottie is in a collar at the moment she is finding it hard. And this morning she did a runny poop and was scraping her cone around the bottom of the hutch trying to pick it up.. It ended up everywhere :S

I scooped it up on a bit of kitchen towel and fed it to her at 7 this morn :oops: Nearly made me sick.. But I never have known why they eat them?

A rabbits doesnt get the vitiamins and nutrients from the food the first time its digested, so Cecotropes come out with the nurtients in, and the rabbits eats them to get the whole benefit.

Things like grass just take a lot of digesting :)

Cows take a different approach where they regurgitate partially digested 'cud' and chew it again.

Because she ripped all her stitches out and now has staples.

I have adapted all her food and she is eating and drinking brilliantly, as of yesterday :)

You already knew why :oops:
You replied loads on my other thread lol :lol:

sorry jsut looked at who the poster is.... apologies.. i need to make sure i know who i mtalking too!!sorry xx that naughty bunster and its stitches!!! i hope that the wound helas all ok. and i wouldnt worry about the caecotroph poos as she shouldnt have collar on for long... xx

Hehe no probs :)

The collar will hopefully come off on Sunday. Im just hoping she wont attempt to pull the staples out, as they wont come out until next week :(

Lily yanked out her stitches, and then her staples too, the vet taped the wound yesterday and put a collar on her and gave her a Vitamin B12 injection to cover her for not being able to eat her poops, he said that's mostly what they get out of them.

Ah god hun sounds like you havent had much fun. Surprised your vet didnt give her a collar after she ripped the staples out.

If I see her trying to eat one, I will pick it up and give it to her. But hopefully the collar will be off on Sunday :)

Oh, it's been a right performance :roll:

They weren't very keen on giving her a collar at all, because of the need to eat her caecotrophs, it was pretty much a last resort, and they didn't want me to leave it on her for more than four hours without taking it off, so I took it off her (eventually) when I got home from work, she whipped the dressing off quick as a flash and we're back to square one, so although I'm keeping as close a watch on her as I can and she's on Baytril for any potential infection, I'm not going to put her through the stress (and she does get very stressed) of yet another vet trip only to end up the same. My vet is lovely, rabbit-savvy from his own long experience of breeding and showing.

The wound is clean and dry (there's still a stitch at the lower end that she couldn't get out but has given up on) she's on soft bedding, she's eating and drinking well and was even binkying last night, so I'm not too worried about her.

Sounds like your doing all you can hun.
Quick recommendation, celery got my little ones appetite and drinking back on track.

Its so high in water content, it stops them getting dehydrated :)

Oooh, thanks - I've just given her the leafy bits left over after I made my salad early, having thought she might not be interested as she's been snoozing quietly for ages ... she practically inhaled it, it disappeared so quick! :lol:

Back