• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poops for fertiliser?

ariadne

Warren Scout
Hi,
I've heard that rabbit poops can be used to fertilise the garden, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Would I need to let it rot down or can I just fork it right in?
Thanks!

I'd either let it rot down or pour boiling hot water on it and let it soak for a few days, then water the plants with it....otherwise you may end up with lots of interesting weeds all over the place from the hay seeds. At the mo. I am stacking mine in the garden as we are converting a whole bed and are just going to turn it into a giant compost heap for the next year or so. If using compost heaps I think you probably need about 2 heaps about 1 meter by 1 meter per bunny that you've got

i thought about this but the one area they do poop in the garden doesnt seem to grow grass on is this more to do with urine and it not rotting down (i clear it up after a bit as dont want fly strike?

We've just been given an allotment by the council so we're starting to take ours over there! Will let you know if we get super sized carrots or not! :lol:

Hi,
Thanks for the input! Hadn't thought about the hay seeds so I'll prob just use the poops I gather from their pens & not their hutches so theres less chance. With regards to the grass it might be the high nitrogen levels, I do know it turns grass yellow due to the nitrogen. Chloaster, please let me know how the veg growing goes, that would be amazing!! You might produce prize winning veg!!

I've got a very good neighbour who has my bags of poop of me to make compost :D Then they give us free veg for our bunnies from their veg patch :D:D:D

what a good deal!! and nice and healthy for your buns, no pesticides etc! lol just noticed you've got 11 bunnies!! :shock:You deserve a medal.:)

what a good deal!! and nice and healthy for your buns, no pesticides etc! lol just noticed you've got 11 bunnies!! :shock:You deserve a medal.:)

Thanks! I'd have more if hubby would let me, but he's threatened to leave me if I bring anymore home from the sanctuary where I volunteer :shock: Mind you now there's an idea! :lol::lol::lol: We had 13 a few weeks back but lost 2 within a few weeks of each other, which was really sad - but at least we knew they had a good life while they were with us. :D

We've just been given an allotment by the council so we're starting to take ours over there! Will let you know if we get super sized carrots or not! :lol:

is it OK if I laugh a little at the idea of you and andy growing your own carrots :)

Oh I'm so sorry. Having lost one myself only last week I know how distressing it is.:(

You must be incredibly organised with 11 buns, I was thinking only last night as I was clearing yet another pile of poops up, goodness other people have no idea how much care a rabbit needs and involves a lot of time & skill!

I'm looking forward to seeing the results..didn't ever think I'd get excited over poop! My Poppy produces some amazing ones, hopefully they'll be super poops!

Back