• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lapizole

jenzel5

Mama Doe
Has anyone used Lapizole? We are promoting this at our vets now instead of panacur. We had a meeting with genetrix regarding all of their products. Lapizole only needs to be given every day for 28 days and thats it. It doesn't get rid of it if the rabbit is a carrier but it stops the rabbit spreading spores through their urine. If you get another rabbit you have to isolate them and treat them for 28 days or treat all rabbits again. I think it is really good because it only has to be done once and thats it unless the rabbit comes in to contact with another. What are everyones views on this product?

Lapizole is exactly the same as Panacur Rabbit in terms of it's active ingredient and the amount (I worked it out once). Therefore the 28 days thing is what the manufacturers say - but if a vet usually prescribes 6 weeks of Panacur Rabbit, it's the same for Lapizole.

Just to add, no product currently eradicates spores altogether - they just reduce them down to a much lower amount. E Cuniculi can come back, and often does.

Lapizole is exactly the same as Panacur Rabbit in terms of it's active ingredient and the amount (I worked it out once). Therefore the 28 days thing is what the manufacturers say - but if a vet usually prescribes 6 weeks of Panacur Rabbit, it's the same for Lapizole.

Well I think that may be if a rabbit is suspected to have E.C. Thing with panacur is you have to keep treating your rabbit every 3-6 months whereas lapizole is only a one off treatment. That is as I understand.

I wouldn't use Lapizole again on my medium-sized buns as you have to use so much liquid. I guess it would be OK for small buns as you'd only need 1 or 2 'pumps' but my 3.5kg bun needed 7 pumps of fluid every day - that's a heck of a lot to get down a little bunny and she made her feelings very clear on the matter.

I now use the dog and cat Panacur liquid (10%) as it's much cheaper and you only need 0.2ml per kg, thus making it last much longer if you've got more than a couple of buns.

I've used both and I too am of the understanding that Lapizole is a one off treatment which is great but I did find it more of a mare to dose as it is a liquid and several pumps are needed for the heavier buns. Apparently it tastes ok so it can go on their food but with more than one bun this isn't a great option as you can't be sure they're getting the right dosage.

For my personal situation I'm sticking with the liquid panacur but if I only had a few buns and none coming in and out I'd definately use it.

I used it once and did find it a mare for my larger buns because of the volume. The active ingredient is the same as panacur so the same rules apply...you will probably have to use it again.

Im a vet nurse and we checked this out at my previous practice. Lapizole and panacur are exactly the same drug (same strength per 1ml of drug) they are just marketed by different manufacturers. You can use either product (and its down to personal preference) for 28 days to treat your bunny. If you then introduce a new bunny, quarantine for 28 days whilst you treat it and then you shouldn't introduce EC. This would only be the case if you knew your bunny was not EC positive. There is a blood test that can be done. If your bunny has EC and you treat it for 28 days, you will not have cured your rabbit, you will only have suppressed the clinical signs and help to prevent the condition getting worse. Once a bunny is EC positive, you can never cure him of the disease and make him negative as he will always carry the antibodies. However, it is important to treat him regularly to help keep the signs at bay. Any other rabbit living with the infected rabbit would likely be positive too.

Back