• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those with buns who are agressive or kick out

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
how on earth do you cope when handling for vaccs at the vets?

i have to take alyssa soon and shes a pain.

she doesn't bite, just yet but shes so powerful and does not like being handled.

xxx

rabbits tend to behave differently at the vets because it's a stressful affair for them. Both of my 'difficult to handle' buns are fine at the vets, yet they try to rip me apart at home :)

You could wrap her in a towel or alternatively, take the top off the pet carrier when at the vets and you won't have to worry about picking her up.

I'd echo what Charlie82 said.

Carmel is pretty aggressive at home, holding her is a real nightmare as she's so strong, doesn't enjoy being picked up and wriggles like hell.

When we took to the vets, he went to touch her and she leapt off the table onto my chest, clung on for dear life and started licking my face :D. I was around 6ft away so it was pretty scary! As long as I held her, she was fine to be treated.

When we got her back home, she didn't want to be held again :?.

hmm its a difficul t one a firm grip is best... or try and get a pet carrier with a lid that opens that a vet can do injection into her through. or a cardboard one would be ok as long as its only for vet trips the ones with holes in and open at top they only abot 2-3 pounds.

I think my vet must dread us coming because everytime he ends up with millions of scratches all over his arms I feel quite bad :oops: Putting a towel around them usually works though.

My vet comes out to vaccinate with me having so many, & Calel has been sedated before now (I dread anything being wrong with him), but you could wrap her in a towel or something?

I was clipping nails last night - doing a bun or two a night & some of them are a nightmare. I struggle to hold them still:oops:

One of my giants can be a little :censored: when he's having his panacur, but funnily enough he was an angel for his myxo this morning:D.

I put a bath towel on the table, put the bun halfway along so that their bum is on the centre, and bring the towel over their backs and tuck really tightly in front under their chin - it works like a charm with fiesty buns.

You'd need to modify so the vet can inject, so I'd us part of the towel to restrain their back half, and the other part to cover their head and leave the back of the neck exposed.
Alternatively ask the vet nurse to do it:lol:

I sympathise my Giant is a nightmare at the vets he's really strong and just launches himself off the table, he wont keep still at all even when they hold his scruff.
They have put a note on his file now that he's only to be examined on the floor. Last time we put a piece of vet bed on the floor then me in all my lovely work gear and the vet sat on the floor to examine him. :oops:
He still didn't like it but wasn't as bad.
Thing is at home he's a softy, lets me pick him up no problem and even lets me trim his nails when he's just lounging on the floor.

Miss Mill's is the opposite she's an angel at the vets and a minx at home, she's winded me twice with a sharp kick to the tummy. :roll:

my buns amaze me at the vets, pebbles is very bold, she jumped on the vets shoulders while he was typing at the pc!!

Peanut BIT the vet..PEANUT!!

Domino hissed and puffed up like a puffball, and jelly was an angel!

they always amaze me

the vet wanted to have pebbles :lol: she was just perched on his shoulder sniffing his ears "you have very short ears you know"

rosie has a towel over her head as she ran off the table twice.....the vet makes me hold her when she does the potentially fatal to humans VHD vaccine :shock::shock:

you've all got me woorried now, i'm taking peanut to the vet for the 1st timew tomorrow for his myxi jab and he doesn't like being handled at the best of times so now i'm dreading taking him!!:? I think i may try just taking the lid off the pet carrier lets hope he doesn't jump out!!!!

my gang hate being picked up (nothing unusual there) i always insist mine are examined on the consulting room floor. i kneel down and corner them between my legs so they cant back away and there is no danger of them jumping off a table and they seam to settle better.

Back