PDA

View Full Version : choosing a bunny partner - older or younger? advice wanted please



keepingmesane
11-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Its nearly time for us to be getting Diego a new friend, the shed should be finished this weekend and it will be 4 weeks since he has been neutured, so we are thinking of being able to offer a home to a new lady bun sometime in the next few weeks. (sadly we were held up on the shed by a few problems so its taken longer than i hoped)

I have expressed an interest in rehoming Fidgit, she is gorgeous, but what i would like to ask everyone is whether i would be better looking for a slightly older rabbit who has already been neutured and possibly had time for the 'teens' to pass to introduce to Diego?
I suppose what im worried about is that it wont be long til winter and i know bonding can take quite a while, im hopeful that they will be bonded before it gets too cold so that they can both be in their new shed... but if i went for a younger bunny such as the beautiful fidget, i would have to wait for her to be old enough to be neutured before introducing her to Diego. i have been told that i could introduce a bunny before being neutured as Diego is 'done' but surely im gonna hve to seperate them again at some point to get it done?


I would appreciate others thoughts as i want to do whats best for all concerned

edited to add, should i try to take diego to be bonded where his wifey is, or should i keep them apart here for a while, let the girl settle and then try bonding?
ive bonded chinchillas before, but not so sure its the same with rabbits?

keepingmesane
11-09-2008, 10:35 PM
anyone?

honeybunny
11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I would say get a girl who is already neutered..and bonding shouldn't take longer than 5-7 days max..
A rescue should bond for you:D
Good luck with youir search.
Just to add Fidget is lovely..can see why you like her:D

bunny babe
11-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi, I have always bonded mine at home. Let them see each other through wire for some time and then try but others on here have taken them to where they are get their buns from - so there is no right or wrong way.

It would be easier to get one already spayed but if Fidget is "the one" you could work round. I would think they would be OK to be bonded and then get Fidget spayed when she is ready. You would just have to be extra careful for a couple of weeks when she got home until the stiches were out.

keepingmesane
12-09-2008, 12:40 PM
thanks for your replies :)