• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with Fleas

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I think Nala has fleas :? I sat grooming her earlier for ages and noticed she had lots of black dots, like flea dirt in the depths of her fur :? Then i found a couple of tiny fleas. She does spend alot of time downstairs with Oscar (my cat) although Oscar is treated regularly with drops. Can you get similar stuff for rabbits? I know i had drops for Simba when he had mites but not sure about fleas :? Any suggestions?

You can get Advantage for cats from the vet which is suitable for rabbits :) Also for preventing fleas I have found Assisi Natural Grooming Lotion brilliant, it doesnt contain any nasty chemicals and smells lovely, I brush it on my lot once a week x

Thanks for your reply
I thought cat drops were harmful to rabbits and vice versa :?

Whats assisi lotion and where do you get it? is it wet? Seeing as my lot have long fuzzy fur i cant use anything wet or it will make a right mess :roll: Luckily Nala doesnt appear to be bothered by fleas but still dont like her having them :?

You're probably thinking of Frontline for cats, which is harmful to rabbits, and Xenex for rabbits, which is harmful to cats.

You can get rabbit specific Advantage nowadays (has a pic of a bunny on the box). I would definitely recommend it :thumb:

Thanks for your reply

Whats assisi lotion and where do you get it? is it wet? Seeing as my lot have long fuzzy fur i cant use anything wet or it will make a right mess :roll: Luckily Nala doesnt appear to be bothered by fleas but still dont like her having them :?

:wave:

I think some of them are, like frontline. When my lot got fleas my vet recommended the Advantage one and said others were unsafe, didnt realise you can get a bunny one now but if you can just ask the vet for that :)

Its a spray but the buns dont really get wet, its more like a fine mist :) Scarlett is a fluffy one and I use it on her ok, I dont spray it straight onto the buns though. I spray their brush and then just brush it over them. With Scarlett I spray my hands and then just pat her because its easier, and then brush her :lol: It dries in a few minutes too

Here it is, the bottles last me ages too using it once a week (more during the summer) on all four buns :)

http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/GROOM

x

just had this with my bunnies, cant remember the name of the drops, but i bought em from the vet just to be safe, tube of 5 i gotsh! she advised i retreated my cats and cleaned and sterelised all the cages/hutchs and everything they used! took me all day and alot of money :shock:
The vet told me not to buiy any flea stuff for rabbits at petshops cos u can never be to sure if thier dangerous for ur bun, so i buy mine from the vets all the time soi i know im getting the right stuff!

I brought Xeno from my vets for Flopsy its great but it does cost alot tho I payed £24 for it,I've just put some on my new bunny Muffin cause she is scraching the back of her neck just incase she has any fleas.

I have used Xeno and it works really quick. I would keep a close eye on her because of myxi

Thanks, might try and get to the vets tomorrow. Hadnt thought about fleas being a threat to her cos of Myxi :shock: They are all immunised though (although i realise that isnt a guarantee).

Ive used xeno before when Simba had mites before with no problems. Might see about the advantage ones this time

Back