• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

conservatory buns in winter

ecudc

Warren Veteran
My foster babies and mums have moved into my conservatory thing as I'm fed up with being rained on and as the patio turns into a stream when it rains the fluffs were getting very soggy. It never falls below three or 4 degrees in the lean too, even if it gets to -14 outside as it is south facing and has glazed walls facing into the house (don't ask).

Now they have temprary snuggles which is a carrier with some carpet in, a covered litter tray full of hay which has a little flap door, a tunnel and a massive high sided litter tray lined with hay. There is also carpet scattered around which they seem to sleep on.

However do I need to give them some sort of more insulated bed chamber, especially when we move more into winter? I'm finding anything big enough to squeeze more than two bunnies in pretty hard without forking out a fortune. I do have a small hutch about 4 ft that I could convert so that the entrance is what is normally the bed chamber and plywood up the "hutch" area so they can all snuggle in there together.

What do people think (especially people that put their buns in conservatories in winter)

I take it that as there are 28 views and no "how you you even possibly consider not giving them an insulated bed area" relpies that I do not need to put my DIY skills to the test.

Hi Hun

Do you remember my conservatory last year? I left a heater on and it cost me a fortune!!! When I switched it down and eventually off the bunnies (Speedy & Ollie) burrowed and made hidey nests as it was cold. What about a dog crate and fill it with hay as i did?

perhaps the diy skills on the old hutch would be a good idea then. Rosie was fine in it last december and I can put hay in it for snuggling. I think the lean to is wamer than your conservatory because it only has one exposed side which directly faces south. It was warmer in there this morning than the kitchen :shock::shock:

:wave: I dont have a conservatory :lol: Your idea with the hutch is a good one I think :) x

well nor do I really...it's a gap in the house with a large glass door and a plastic roof....optimistically called conservatory.

Last edited:
Heya, it may be warm now but the problem with conservatories is the dramatic temperature change - not good for buns.... aim is to keep it as constant as poss, if you can put a hutch in and fill it with hay for cold days and nights they should be fine. Let me know if you need some help and I'll pop over x

umm my buns are in the conservatory but we got them feb time so thay havent really had a long winter however they seem ok then again theyre usually in a hutch in the conservatory

Back