• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Casey's very unwell...U/D she didn't make it through the night

We've been getting very worried about Casey who has been losing weight over the past couple of weeks. She slowed down her eating since Sunday, and today she was lethargic and she even started to drop food.

So we took her to the vet. He's checked her mouth and found sharp teeth and possible ulceration of the tongue, so the normal procedure would be to perform a dental. Unfortunately, since she came to us on the light side and has been losing the weight quickly, he thinks there's a much greater risk with the anaesthetic.

But it got worse. Much worse, in fact, because he then spent some time feeling around her stomach, there's a hard lump which he suspects is a tumour. In fact, she's so unwell that he wouldn't be surprised if we called him in the morning to say she didn't make it.

So for the timebeing, she's been given a steroid/anti inflammatory, and if she perks up overnight, we'll consider going forward with treatment. If she doesn't... well, we'll have to cross that bridge.

It's such a pity because she'd finally settled in, and is clearly no longer scared of us.

Last edited:
Hi ohhh i am so sorry to here bunnies not very well. I had EXACTLY the same with my Peter. He started to get thin so took him to get checked all was fine with his mouth. He pulled round for about 2 weeks then he got tired and he had a hard lump in his tummy that i could not get my fingers round :roll: suspected tummor. He started not going to his cornere to poop and pee and not cleaning himself was always wet on his bum, 2 days later he passed away BUT he was 10yr old so he was an old bunny so i don't want to panic you just saying thats all.

I do hope its not as mine turned out :( how old is your bunny ?

Sending good bunny vibes from all at my house :love:

Last edited:
Hi ohhh i am so sorry to here bunnies not very well. I had EXACTLY the same with my Peter. He started to get thin so took him to get checked all was fine with his mouth. He pulled round for about 2 weeks then he got tired and he had a hard lump in his tummy that i could not get my fingers round :roll: suspected tummor. He started not going to his cornere to poop and pee and not cleaning himself was always wet on his bum, 2 days later he passed away BUT he was 10yr old so he was an old bunny so i don't want to panic you just saying thats all.

I do hope its not as mine turned out :( how old is your bunny ?

Sending good bunny vibes from all at my house :love:

Sounds very similar to what's happened with Casey. She's not very old, about 2 years, and we've had her about 10 weeks. She's not been cleaning herself as much recently, and now thinking back she was pristene when we got her... Oh dear.

EDIT: Meant to say, thanks for the good bunny vibes!

Is he sure its a tumour? My very anorexic french lop survived an anaesthetic yesterday for a dental. I was so worried and I didn't think she would survive but she did. Hoping Casey improves overnightxx

Is he sure its a tumour? My very anorexic french lop survived an anaesthetic yesterday for a dental. I was so worried and I didn't think she would survive but she did. Hoping Casey improves overnightxx

We'll see in the morning, but we're not really holding out a lot of hope, she seems to have got weaker by the hour. She's not making any real efforts to move at all right now... :(

We're also very worried about Bobbin, her bonded partner, and how he will cope if we take her away and she doesn't come back.

I know this is premature, but if the worst should happen... I've read that your meant to leave the surviving bun with the body so that they understand. I personally find this an upsetting idea, for both us and Bobbin, but if it will help with his grieving, then it's something we would consider. Has anyone had any experience with the technique and would they suggest it?

Obviously, we appreciate that he'll need more fuss and attention, and we'll do our best to find him a new friend as soon as we can...

Grrrr... I knew this day would come, just didn't expect it so soon.

I have shown 2 surviving buns their partners and neither of them were interested and did not go near. Others I have read about need that time and groom them.

It really is up to you and what you feel is right when the time comes.(hopefully you won't need to make this decision soon)

Thinking of you.

goodnes sthankyou for thinking of telling me im so sorry to hear all of this i know you love them both very much i too fell in love with them while they were staying with me even for such a short time!!!
ok regarding the dental.....speak to jason burgess at quedgeley animal hospital.... i know its a long way but he really is a rabbit expert phone him... he has done numerous dentals on old and frial buns... he did a spey on a 9 yr old for mum if any vet can help you he can... if you want his number its...01452 520056 he got chelsea thru myxi at age 10yrs and has been a god send with numerous buns iv had ill.
regarding the stomach tumour? it is unlikely in such a young bun and in a speyed bun at that to get cancer...tho obviously it could be...i wonder if its not fur that has got tangled up that could be surgically removed? try mashing food for her to keep her eating and warming it up a bit....

regarding loss of another bun. dora grieved badly when snowy went missing.... the only thing that got her eating again was another rabbit who we let her choose and bonded her to. i hope that casey can be made better tho good luck xxx

I think we'll have to make the call in the morning.

It's amazing how quickly things have gone downhill though. On the weekend she was as happy as anything, we did comment that she was looking quite thin compared to Bobbin, and started comparing how much she got to eat.

On Tuesday, we saw that she'd slowed down significantly on her eating and thought that Bobbin was just being greedy. Today, she seemed to have trouble even picking up food. The more we look at her, the more dreadful she looks. She's very frail, her hind legs don't seem to be showing any muscle, and we're trying to remember when we last saw her run up the ramp.

So we've got anorexia, muscle wastage, sharp teeth (she must have stopped eating her hay) and an ulcerated tongue plus a hard lump in her stomach which could be a tumour. The timing couldn't be worse, as we've got a wedding on Saturday, of a very good friend, and Becky's the bridesmaid.

If she's perked up a bit in the morning, and looks ready to fight then we'll fight with her... but at the same time we are prepared for the worst.

Well, if you've seen the thread title, you probably know what this post is about.

We got up this morning to find that casey had used some of her last energy to go downstairs and when we got to the hutch, she was lying peacefully but not moving. Bobbin was clearly distressed and glad to see us.

We had been going back and forth all night over which way to go, fight or let her go, and I'd personally just about resolved to fight if there was any improvement...

At least she was with Bobbin, and if she was meant to go she went where she was happy.

So, goodbye my little genius, binky free.

I am so shocked and upset to hear your beautiful Casey has gone to rainbow bridge:cry:. I have only logged on this morning and had no idea she was ill.
I fell in love with her & Bobbin when they had a rest stop in my garden on the long trip to you. Sincere sympathies to you both - I know how devastated you must be:cry:.
. I'm sure Katie will be in touch with you soon when she hears the sad news. I am so :cry:So :cry:sorry-Suex

So sorry to hear this.
She was very well loved and with her friend and she decided the time was right for her to go to the bridge.
It's very good that Bobbin was with her, as it will help his grieving process.
Binky free Casey.

i am so so sorry to hear this i can only send you all my condolances . and send bobbin a cuddle from me to xxx

Back