• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So much bad news today

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I know we should expect this sort of thing happening on a regular basis considering the type of bunnies we take in, but it is still very sad when we find out how life limiting some of the bunnies conditions are.

We had our brilliant rabbit vet Jen round to check on some of the more disabled bunnies today and unfortunately there wasn't much good news.

Lillie( now renamed Lottie) who recently arrived with cataracts and dental problems had a thorough check up and her VHD. Her cataracts are very severe and have caused so much damage to her eyes that they have developed an extra blood supply, which is the bodies way of trying to heal itself. Her eyes are also protruding and jen feels she has tumours behind both her eyes. We don't want to x ray her to confirm as she is severely underweight and would need a GA. Luckily her teeth are ok at the moment.

Her sister Tillie (now renamed Lola) has extremely weak back legs with no muscle tone or reflexes. Her spine has hardened and thickened in the middle of her back causing her significant pain, so she will remain on pain relief for the rest of her life. She also has molar spurs but again is not able to have a GA at present as she is such high risk.

Freddy my lovely little mini lop with the deformed leg had the worst news. His spine is now so twisted and deformed that it is reducing the size of his chest cavity making it hard for him to breathe. His pelvis has completely twisted round and his "good" back leg is also abnormal. He now needs constant pain relief. Jen feels his life expectancy is severely limited, and that I should just spoil him while he is able to enjoy life.

Tegan, Freddy's partner has a similar deformity in the same leg. It appears at some point her thigh bone was broken inwards, while her knee cap was shattered causing the rest of her leg to point outwards. Her spine and pelvis are also twisting in a similar way to Freddys. She will be having x rays to see if amputation is an option although it looks unlikely meaning as she grows her deformities will become more severe. she is only 4 months and Freddy is around 10 months.

Hector is refusing to put weight on even though he eats for England, but his eyes are doing really well and his teeth are ok at the moment.

Some good news though, I thought the stray cat that lives in our garden might have an abdominal tumour as it is so big and hard, turns out he is just really fat :lol::lol: So he can stop looking at me with those sad hungry eyes everytime I walk past;)

Awwwww Liz I am so sorry!! :cry:

But I am soooo glad Lottie and Lola are with you... I know you will give them the best care ever!!!

So sorry for all the bad news. But I do like Lottie and Lola as names, is that from Ceebies Charlie and Lola by any chance?

Never heard of Charlie and Lola, I'm a bit big for Ceebies:lol::lol:

Sometimes a bunny just seems to tell me it's "real name", it's probably me being completely crazy :oops:

Oh Liz, what a rotten lot of news to receive. :( Sending LOADS of vibes for all of the poorly bunnies. xxxxxxx

(((((((((( VIBES ))))))))))

I don't know you or your history as I am a new member, but I just wanted to say thank you for the obvious loving care you give to rabbits in need. There are not many people in this world who would be willing to take in rabbits with severe medical issues. And, from just reading this one post, it is clear that you love each of your rabbits immensely.

I am so sorry to hear of the bad news you got from the vet. It's heartbreaking when something happens and you're left with no action to take to correct it. But I have no doubt that you will love them completely and thoroughly despite their medical issues -- and sometimes that means more than medical treatment anyway.

Oh man, I could just cry. But, instead, you and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers.

It's the beautiful bunnies we look after that if feel so sorry for, they do not deserve the hand that life has dealt them. I just hope we can make them as happy and as comfortable as possible while they are with us :)

That's a lot to deal with in one go. What you do for these buns is just mindblowing. I hope you don't mind but I have sent you a pm.

That's a lot to deal with in one go. What you do for these buns is just mindblowing. I hope you don't mind but I have sent you a pm.

Pm recieved thank you, I will reply later this evening as well behind on bunny feeding/cleaning due to the weather :roll:

I was more worried about what you were going to say, as they are the ones you are looking after for me when we are away:?

I'll look after them as if they were my own and do my absolute best for them. I'll just feel awful if one of them goes downhill while you're away. I feel more sad for you as you're gonna worry while you're away wont you and it'd be lovely if you could have some time out without the worry. But I really will follow all your instruction to the letter and you know I wont hesitate to take them to the vet if they need etc.
ETA. I did just think I need to save your OP so that i know what's going on with them in case I do need to contact the vet!

I'll look after them as if they were my own and do my absolute best for them. I'll just feel awful if one of them goes downhill while you're away. I feel more sad for you as you're gonna worry while you're away wont you and it'd be lovely if you could have some time out without the worry. But I really will follow all your instruction to the letter and you know I wont hesitate to take them to the vet if they need etc.
ETA. I did just think I need to save your OP so that i know what's going on with them in case I do need to contact the vet!

I know you will look after them well, I wouldn't trust anyone else with them. If you do need to get vet treatment your vet can always ring my vet for notes etc. I did tell Jen today and she said thats fine :)

Sorry to hear such bad news. I think one ray of sunshine is that at least these bunnies are getting a great amount of love and care from you, even though they have difficult health problems to overcome, or in some cases, may never overcome. Your doing a brilliant job providing a loving environment for them, whatever their circumstances. I have seen your website and really admire what you do for these poor bunnies.

I know you will look after them well, I wouldn't trust anyone else with them. If you do need to get vet treatment your vet can always ring my vet for notes etc. I did tell Jen today and she said thats fine :)

ok cool I'll remember that. Cant wait to meet everybun!! :lol: :love:

Back