• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My buns nail just came out!

ariadne

Warren Scout
Hi,
I had to clip my new buns nails today as they were rediculously long. I've left them as long as possible so as not to stress her too soon after arriving but many of them were curling outwards and so they desperately needed doing. As I went to put her down I remembered that I hadn't done her dew claws, as I was checking one I notice the right foot was bleeding so I thought perhaps I nicked the quick but then I realised it was her other dew claw and as I investigated it just fell off! I quickly stemmed the bleeding and moved the fur back and it looks clean and dry, no signs of any infection. It was very curled and around an inch long so I'm a bit stumped how it happened. I've been trimming my buns paws for years & never had this happen so it was a bit upsetting. She seems ok, and has been scrabbling my carpet so I don't think it's bothering her much. I haven't wrapped it as I presume it will heal better letting the air get to it.
Do I need to do anything else other than keep an eye on it so it doesn't develop an infection? Also, do they grow back?

Awwww, how awful that her nails had been left to grow (I know it's not your fault!). I think this sometimes destabilises the nail when they grow too long. Squidgy had overgrown nails and incisors when he came to us, and his nails are still wobbly and he is missing one.
As long as it's stopped bleeding, it should be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

Hi,
It's not looking too bad, no discharge or anything. She doesn't seem bothered so I'm hoping it will stay ok..really scary moment though, I was pretty freaked out!! Can't believe the state her nails were in though, they were just awful, it looked like they hadn't been done in ages. HS, do you think the nail bed dies off and their nails can get wobbly as a result? What causes it, is it just lack of care on the part of their previous owners?

Last edited:
I'n not sure, but it's a possibility isn't it? It would be interesting to hear anyone else's experiences of this.

Back